Thread: Where can i buy glass doors?

Where can i buy glass doors?

Where can i order glass doors (tempered?) in custom sizes? Need them for an up coming project but i haven't worked out the final size with the customer...

Thanks
    Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    Where can i order glass doors (tempered?) in custom sizes? Need them for an up coming project but i haven't worked out the final size with the customer...

Thanks
    Brian

Go to your local glass shop -- Yellow Pages. If they're like mine, they take the order from you and send it off to another place which has the equipment to cut, edge-polish, and temper the doors.

Thanks Jamie, i'll have to look into that!

I've been looking for some place online but no glory so far.....

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    Thanks Jamie, i'll have to look into that!

I've been looking for some place online but no glory so far.....

Brian
    I think that crating and shipping costs make glass a local business.

Well, there is an outfit which advertises in national woodworking mags: WGB Glass. They're in Michigan. They don't have a web site, but will send you a catalog if you call: 800.288.6854. I've gone so far as to get the catalog, but never have bought from them.

Brain, one word of advice. When you order your tempered door glass tell them "no logo." Glass comes with a logo of the company that made the glass. The very first door panel I had made had "LOF" in one of the corners. I think LOF stands for Libey Owens Ford. Anyway it can be real dissapointing to have that happen.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham
    Brain, one word of advice. When you order your tempered door glass tell them "no logo." Glass comes with a logo of the company that made the glass. The very first door panel I had made had "LOF" in one of the corners. I think LOF stands for Libey Owens Ford. Anyway it can be real dissapointing to have that happen.

It can also be very important to have that "logo". I build display cabinets for schools and it is required that the glass have identification on it, to prove that it is either tempered or laminated safety glasss depending on the application.

By the way Brian, I also always use laminated safety glass in vertical situations and tempered glass in horizontal applications. Tempered glass resist breakage better but when it breaks, it is into thousands of tiny shards. When the laminated glass breaks it stays together and the young person that walked into it usually just bounces off and turns red from embarrasment, not laceration.

Talk to your glass distributor and follow his advise.
    It's a vintage trailer thing. If ya gotta ask, ya won't understand.