Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An experiment in Formica.

An experiment in Formica.

Rodney recently posted using "Formica" as an engravable substrate. I happened upon some "matte finished" not the "glossy finished" formica at a bargain $20.00 for 30"x96" sheet.

Engraving the Tile murals as I did, I gave the formica a whirl. Also experimenting with how I did them.

I have always engraved "Laser Tile" straight as a "bmp" and not using "photograv". With the results of the tile I don't beleive photograv will give me any better results on the tile. So I thought I'd try gray scale, save to bmp and engrave as is to the formica.

These are the results of the Matte formica with boot polish finish. To me it appears as if they are a charcoal drawing, as the matte surface keeps some of the polish.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-15-2009 at 10:25 AM.
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Photograph images

These are photographs engraved as bmp and not using Photograv, but for the one on the right.

The image on the left was processed using a progam called "Paint.net"(free), using the pencil tool. The one on the right was a photo processed in Photograv (cherry settings). I think I'll get a better image of the One on the right using Paint.net/bmp than what I have on the right. And will post comparison probably Sunday, as I have a Valentines show to do tommorrow.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-15-2009 at 10:25 AM.

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Hey Anthony those look really great. And your right, they do look like they are a charcoal sketch. My dad used to do some charcoal sketches and that is a really good facsimile. Good luck at your show tomorrow.

~John
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open

Very nice Anthony.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Anthony, those are very nice! By boot polish finish, do you mean you filled the color or simply covered the whole board with a clear polish?

I guess the question is: does the formica change color when burned?

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Very nice. You've set the bar high! Thank you for posting.
    Steve Eide
    Versalaser 300 30 watt; Corel Draw X4; PhotoGrav 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Anthony, those are very nice! By boot polish finish, do you mean you filled the color or simply covered the whole board with a clear polish?

I guess the question is: does the formica change color when burned?

cheers, dee

Yes Dee, these do change color, but to light yellow. I guess depending on the color formica and how deep you raster.

I take a boot polish brush and black boot polish and cover the whole board. Let dry a couple of minutes. Buff with a dry towel vigorously. Then take same towel or another one with a spray or two of WD-40 and buff again down to how you like. Shy of removing your fill. Which leaves the whole board a shade of gray. Now if this was a gloss/slick formica, then it will, I believe, remove all the polish except for the fill.

Again what I can only get my hands on is this matte finish formica and I'm doing what I can with it. As I stated this is an experiment with formica. If I can afford to order the gloss type finish in the future, I'll post another thread showing a comparison.

As Rodney mentioned before, this is an overlooked substrate and I thought I'd show what I've been able to do with it so far. Your trials may differ.

Anthony

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Other things you can engrave without photograv are marble (not granite) Romark and most other lamicoids, anodized aluminum, enameled brass and enameled aluminum. and ceramic tile.. Basically anything hard enough to hold a high definition engraving. Granite and glass, unfortunatly are not high definition mediums, and require photograv or similar to pre-process the image..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I would like to see how the formica turned out but I can't see any of the pictures that was posted. Care to let me know where they are at so I can take a peek?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Patrick View Post
    I would like to see how the formica turned out but I can't see any of the pictures that was posted.
    Huh! They were there yesterday but gone today.

That's weird.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

I'm glad it's not my eyes or a computer glitch. I can't find them either.

Jerre

I want to see them as well

Sorry I had them pulled.

Sorry, a couple of them may be a copyright infringement, so I had them pulled. Here are the photos done as stated above in post #2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

That's a great job Anthony. What color was the formica? Was it solid white?

There is a lumber store in town that happened upon 25+ sheets of "matte" finished formica. I tried acrylic paint fill and it didn't do very well. Then I tried the black boot polish and tried to clean it (WD-40) back to the white matte finish, but it pulled the polish out of the engraving. So I just buff it down w/WD-40 rag until I get a look that I'm pleased with.

If this was a glossy finished formica I think I can get back to the original formica w/o pulling the fill from the engraving.

Anthony

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS