Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A difficult job/question?

A difficult job/question?

We have been asked to make a display item which has a see thru cavity that is filled with liquid.
    Making the item is no problem , however the liquid therein has to seperate out into 4 discrete bands , each of which has a unique colour.
    2 bands is easy , oil and water , but 4 is a mission.
    We have tried mixing gearbox oil and low viscosity car oil , but they do not separate out , and if they did , it would take like an hour or more , the other issue is how does one colourize the oils.
    We have suggested an option of filling the cavity with high viscosity oil and inserting 3 strips (its a rectangular cavity , looks like an oil barrel) of coloured perspex and then giving them a slight positive buoyancy so they gently float to the surface if the item is turned upside down and then righted ----

We were considering using water , castor oil , glycerine and normal gearbox oil as the 4 liquids , but i think the 2 oils and the water glycerine wont separate and once agian , colourants are an issue.

Anyone offer suggestions?
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Rodney

Have you ever seen those multi-colored beverages they concoct at fancy bars? Don't know the contents but the colors separate until stirred.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Is there any way to put a divider cap inbetween the colors? Or do the colors have to mix?
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Or how about jello.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Blog Entries
    The problem with the drinks is they work on differences in specific gravity alone... shake them up and the alcohols never separate. The oil and water work on both specific gravity and the insolubility of the oil in water.

Try searching on multiple layer emulsions and hydrophilic / hydrophobic surfactants... you may come across a home-based experiment where someone found a good mix.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Colours/fluids have to mix and then separate in a min or 2 - ie it has to do this whenever shaken and or turned upside down etc.
    basically , its for an oil co , shell , and the colours represent the make up of the cost of a oint, so its basically 60% gold, 18% red, 10% blue and the rest a light gold or yellow. Qty is 500 units, 150mm high , 75 mm wide, 20mm thick, we charging at $20 a unit.
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Don't forget vinegar......try mixing THAT with oil!

Also....how do you keep the liquid from leaking out of the award? Will weldon create a water-tight bond between two pieces of acrylic?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I'm sorry I can't help here, but it never ceases to amaze me: the variety of problems and solutions that come up on the Creek. This is a true Brain Trust!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Maybe a search through the site Instructables may have the answer.

Beware though it is a habit forming site. many unusual things there.
    The other night I made carbonated fruit from instructions I found there.

Good reference site.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

It's really simple, actually. It has to do with density. If you take 4 glasses of water, all different color and put different amounts of salt in them, they will have different densities and they will separate.

Really, come on, I thought everyone knew that.

Okay, now for the truth, I had no clue, went to Google and found this page- Might work, might not It might mess up when you shake it, I don't know.

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/...stack-of-color
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

That is a tough one and could be one of those customer requests that just can't be done. At least not the way they want it. Even if you can find 4 fluids that separate, you still have to deal with coloring them - in the right order. A solution for a 3rd color could be a solid. something like sand. How about silicone? as in silicone brake fluid.

Good luck,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Basically , its 15mm perspex , a rectangular block with a square hole in the middle , using silcon , we are sticking a 3mm clear full plate on front and back.
    There is a front and back cladding of 1.2mm thick anodised aluminium etched with logos and lettering and these have a square hole so you can see the enclosure for the liquids , this all cladding hides the glue marks or silicon marks , the edge of the block is wrapped right round with anodised ally , so it looks like an ipod or whatever , the screen is the window with all the colours. The single saeam of the edge wrap is at the bottom.

What i have done is speak to the client and said that this colour banding is way beyond our expertise and field , but shell tech guys might have an answer re differing densities and colouring of oils etc , so let THEM call us. Otherwise im going with the "floaters" in a viscous oil , easy to stack em if we cut em in strips and they will always come up the right order etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce cain View Post
    Considering the toxicological properties of at least one of the fluids listed is unknown, I would suggest against this one

The salt one is great for density demonstration purposes in a classroom, but it won't hold for more than an hour or two (unshaken) as the salt will eventually equalize.

Dyes have to also be immiscible between each fluid so they don't taint the color of the others... it may start out as 4 different colored layers, but after a few shakes it would be a muddy mess. Still layers, but each would have the same color.

Rodne, this isn't an easy problem and i think you're right to have the company take on the informational portion of the project. Two layers would have been a breeze, three a bear, but four is going to require some advanced knowledge of multiple chemicals and their interactions. Of course, they all have to be toxicologically inert for when they leak.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I keep thinking of sealed clear pouches of liquid, but I'm not sure how to accomplish it.... Like a baggie of jello.
    Margaret Turco

60 watt Universal V-460, Coreldraw X4