Thread: DC Question

Question DC Question

I am new to dust collectors always used a shopvac. I have HF 2hp DC gave $40 for it. I was reading Bill Peints cyclone article so I made some calls and can get his 18" cyclone built for $140 and fit my motor and impeller to i, don't know how many cfm it is just didn't know if it is worth doing or if it would even make a difference. Thanks for any help.
    "Don't Sweat the Petty Things and Don't Pet the Sweaty Things "

Thumbs up Yes. Surely an advantage.

Didn't want to see this sink under you Paul.
    I don't know about the 18" cyclone, but mating the two would be a great deal better than a bag unit alone.
    Cyclones are great in that they separate the debris before it goes through the fan, and a cyclone removes almost all of the material and into a drum or barrel.
    When I had my home made cyclone separator mated up to my Delta 50-850 bagger, about all that was in the 1 micron bags was wood "flour". All the rest got removed in the chamber.
    So maintenance is vastly reduced by using a cyclone ahead of the DC itself.

In a nut shell... Yes. The cyclone would be a great addition to your new dust collection system.
    You might want to get the barrel for the cyclone at the same time?

First thanks for your advice but I am not real sure what you mean should I buy a seperate motor/blower for cyclone and run both of them at same time

4. Paul,

You already have the blower, put the cyclone before it and your filters ( bads or cartridges) behind it.

Paul

What Paul sez Paul.
    Boy, this could really get confusing. My given name is Paul, but I am a Jr. So Mom and Dad always called me Sonny.
    So Paul is agreeing with Paul on his advice to Paul.

Is the 18" cyclone from the Penze folks powered?
    Or is it a chamber that can be added ahead of a collector?

I presumed it was a cyclonic separator that was to be ahead of your 2 HP collector.

So that your collector draws > on the Penze cyclone >, which draws on your machinery.

My early (and quite successful) cyclonic chamber was like that.
    My collector > drew on the chamber > which drew on the shop manifold system.
    Looked like this:

The dust collector (Delta 50-850) > drew on the barrel chamber > which drew on the shop. (This was way back when I was developing my dust collection.)

Can you provide a link to the Penze cyclone you are referring to for us to take a look at?

Here is more on my old system, which was a separate cyclonic chamber from the actual blower.
    Let me know if you'd like more info about home grown cyclones.

no it was do it youself cyclone kit that you put your motor/blower on ,it says it will increase your suction I got it on a link through clear vue cyclones it led me to bill peints site