Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: SMC Collaboration 01: Keepsake Box

Okay, I updated the box to the 8" x 8" x 12.75" dimensions--or it should be close depending upon joinery method.

I gave the lid a 1/4" overhang all the way around. BTW, everything is 1/2" stock but I see that maybe we need to go with 3/4"? Actually, the top is 3/4" but the box/drawer/drawer front...all 1/2".

I hadn't noticed the ability to upload a LARGE zipped up file so I have included the .SKP file as a zipped up file: box1.zip (box1.skp).

Cool!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-11-2009 at 1:30 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The SMC Collaboration Project

Not much to look at right now but its a start. I havent made any cuts yet just laying things out and getting ready.
    As you all know there are at least two main ways of wrapping grain around a box. The first method simply starts at the end of the board and goes in sequence, Front, Left, Back, Right. I never liked this method too much simply because when looking at the front of the box you really only have one corner that is a true grain match in the order it was cut from the board. Years ago a fellow (my granddad) showed me that if you center the front piece between the two sides, then no matter what angle of view from the front, the grain appears continuous. So thats what Im doing here. This puts any non-aligning grain matches in the back of the box.
    So here we go, also I would still like to get everyones opinion on whether or not to dovetail this box or miter it, my only thinking was that since its 3/4" material the larger pins and tails may look bulky on a box this size. So opinions? I can do it either way and it makes no difference to me I just thought some of you may want to chime in on this.
    Last edited by Jim Kountz; 02-11-2009 at 1:41 PM. Reason: I cant spell!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Jim,
    Regarding mitered versus dovetails, ummm, hard to call.
    The miters would be clean, the dovetails interesting.
    Since this is for a public auction, dovetails are something the public associates with fine woodworking, so consider that aspect.
    Dovetailed cases were the joint of choice in period furniture, though often covered with moldings.
    I dont think you could go wrong with either choice.

Construction wise, in a mitered joint, would you reinforce the joint? Would the reinforcement show at the lid when opened?

In a dovetailed joint, tails front or side? How large? End grain tends to be darker under a finish, what does our finisher think?

Mike

I would vote for mitered, but it is your call. mh
    If I went with miters I would more than likely spline them with a nice contrasting wood, if I went with DT I would like the front and back to be the tail boards. This is just my preference though.

Looks good as is Jim. I still vote for the DTs!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Dovetails are just very cool no matter how you slice it. I have a kit that does "fake" dovetails but adds a nice touch to any joint:

http://www.dovetailspline.com/

I bought this like years ago and never used it. If you're interested, holler, and I'll send it to you this weekend.

Chris,
    We are getting closer.

A couple changes, and these drawings may help.

Note that the drawer front does not go all the way across, there must be room on the sides of the drawer for the guides, which are necessary to attach a frame to. This frame will both allow for attachment of the feet and carry the laser image of Sawmill Creek and our names.

box006.jpg

This is the inside of the case with the front removed. Frame fits inside of case, and flush with bottom. Frame attaches with screws to the drawer guides, the cutout in the drawer guides matches the opening in the front panel. Sitting on top of the drawer guides is the bottom panel for the upper compartment. Ed Salle can tell you more about that area.

box007.jpg

Also, the drawer does NOT have a false front, it is built with half-blind dovetails.

drawer2.JPG

I have also drawn up the foot, this view should be full-size, each square is one-quarter inch. The position relative to the case is shown above. There is a half-inch of each foot outboard of the case. They will be one inch thick.

box008.jpg

Hopefully, you can use this to help create the sketchup of the foot.

Mike
    "The Leg Man"
    Last edited by mike holden; 02-11-2009 at 4:51 PM. Reason: computer glitch
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

[Snapping off a salute to Admiral Holden]

Sir, yes, Sir!

You are stretching my Sketch-Up skills, Mike!!

But that is cool...it'll force me to improve.

Your second drawing of the carcass seems to show a 1/2" thick bottom. Is there any plywood in this box?

More progress

Ok Ive made some headway. Got the front panel components cut and glued up, all the pieces for the front were from one board. I ripped then jointed the pieces back together so as to keep grain harmony and a nice square opening.

Also got the jig set up for the dovetails. By the way:
    My name is Jim, and I cant handcut dovetails. Not afraid to admit it!!

Anyway I set the first pin width 1/8" wider than the rest to allow for cutting the top off and still retaining the same width. This was taking into account the kerf my bandsaw makes (1/16") and some clean up work fitting the lid back to the case (1/32" ea for both the top and case = another 1/16").
    If anyone has any requests as to spacing of the dovetails speak now for tomorrow it will be too late!!

It's alive!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Jim, PM me an address and I will send you the hinges. What species? Walnut I would think.....

FYI, I dropped a line to our fellow SMC member Marc Spagnuolo about this collaborative project. He agreed it was interesting and posted a link to this thread on The Wood Whisperer blog. I hope that's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    FYI, I dropped a line to our fellow SMC member Marc Spagnuolo about this collaborative project. He agreed it was interesting and posted a link to this thread on The Wood Whisperer blog. I hope that's OK.
    Wow now thats just cool!! We'll take all the free advertising we can get, it would have to help out the proceeds I would think!!
    Thanks Pat!!

Chris,
    The "bottom of the upper compartment" is shown as 1/2 inch in thickness. This may be the only piece of plywood in the structure, the edges are completely hidden, and the upper surface will be flocked, the lower surface can only be seen by removing the drawer and looking up into the drawer opening (not bloody likely mate!)

Mike
    "The Leg Man"
    Semper Audere!

Jim,
    Looking Goooood!

Remember now, the Wood Whisperer is watching - Grinnnnn!

Mike
    "The Leg Man"
    Semper Audere!

Okay, I'm getting closer. Still have some more details to bring in.
    Attached Files Attached Files