Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 448

Thread: SMC Collaboration 01: Keepsake Box

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Stanwood, WA
    Posts
    3,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    How about adding the URL in parenthesis under the logo?
    EDITED ABOVE

    How does that look?
    Dewey

    "Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"


  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Waterford, MI
    Posts
    4,673
    Ya shoor youbetcha
    Just thought it might make it easier for the final recipient to drop in and say Hi.
    Use the fence Luke

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Here is what I had in mind for the bottom. Can you do this?
    Should be no problem. Can I get the Sawmill Creek logo in a vector format?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....





    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Clinton Township, MI, United States
    Posts
    1,545
    Chris,
    This looks good, but will have to add some feet. I was thinking of something like these, but scaled appropriately. They are attached to a frame with molding. The molding is higher than the frame pieces so it contains the carcase.
    With something this small we can eliminate the molding and the frame will attach directly to the feet. Then the frame will attach to the case. Will probably inset it to match the inner opening of the bottom.
    This means that the area for lasering will be diminished by about an inch all around to allow for this frame.

    Also, the feet and frame will not have a "back" side and will look the same on all four sides.

    Mike

    ogee feet.JPG plinth.jpg
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    4,674
    I found a box of hinges, but not the box with the Cocobolo. I have walnut, maple, jatoba and one I am not sure of any more but it may be sapele. So now I need to know species that will tie into the program. And an address to send them to....

    Oh, and the way this forum inserts posts where it will makes it hard to follow. No one with new information should quote a old post or it gets lost in the middle.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 02-07-2009 at 4:32 PM.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Stanwood, WA
    Posts
    3,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I found a box of hinges, but not the box with the Cocobolo. I have walnut, maple, jatoba and one I am not sure of any more but it may be sapele. So now I need to know species that will tie into the program. And an address to send them to....

    Oh, and the way this forum inserts posts where it will makes it hard to follow. No one with new information should quote a old post or it gets lost in the middle.
    Maple and walnut are a match made in heaven...my vote!
    Dewey

    "Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"


  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Stanwood, WA
    Posts
    3,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Should be no problem. Can I get the Sawmill Creek logo in a vector format?
    Steve.
    I don't know what vector format is? I can send you the original files but they will have to be converted. They are JPEGS now but I drew the originals up in powerpoint and then converted them so I could post.
    Dewey

    "Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"


  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    St Marys, West Virginia
    Posts
    597
    I may have missed it in a different post. But what will you do with the finished item?

    Maybe auction it off with proceeds to the Creek?

    Or half Creek and half charity...

    Winner gets a cool project.
    One good turn deserves another

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Waterford, MI
    Posts
    4,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    ...
    I'll work on posting the SU file (too big for a direct attachment here) a little bit later so that others can use it.
    ...
    How about just emailing it to all those involved?
    Use the fence Luke

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Here is what I had in mind for the bottom. Can you do this?
    Dewey I love it!! I think its great, nice job!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.





  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Chris,
    This looks good, but will have to add some feet. I was thinking of something like these, but scaled appropriately. They are attached to a frame with molding. The molding is higher than the frame pieces so it contains the carcase.
    With something this small we can eliminate the molding and the frame will attach directly to the feet. Then the frame will attach to the case. Will probably inset it to match the inner opening of the bottom.
    This means that the area for lasering will be diminished by about an inch all around to allow for this frame.

    Also, the feet and frame will not have a "back" side and will look the same on all four sides.

    Mike

    ogee feet.JPG plinth.jpg
    Mike, thats EXACTLY what I had in mind, excellent!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.





  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Well, look at that. As far as I know, only a MODERATOR or ADMINISTRATOR can upgrade a post to a sticky!

    Okay, I've attached some exported .JPG files from SU of the jewelry box I posted about in my earlier post.

    The purplish colors are the flocking and fabric areas. The tan parts are plywood. The cherry colored pieces (sorry, no walnut color available in my SU) are, well, solid cherry (1/2" stock, internal divider is 1/4" stock).

    I don't have any details about joinery or sliding mechanism for the drawer. I also don't have any details for hinges or necklace holders, pouches, etc.

    The lid has a figured "inlay" on it.

    I'll work on posting the SU file (too big for a direct attachment here) a little bit later so that others can use it.

    So let's start with this one and start modifying it to whatever y'all want. I'm not married to this but since I could grab my wife's jewelry box and copy it in SU, it was a good place to start.
    Ok Chris see what you can do with the following:

    Make the front all on one plane with the drawer inset and flush with the front. Maybe thin the top down somewhat so it isnt as high.
    I talked with Dewey and we are thinking either a flat one piece top with a routed edge or a frame and panel. If we go with frame and panel Dewey can veneer the plywood core for the panel and then do his thing on it. If its solid then he would more than likely go with an inlay.
    Since Keith is adding some CNC carving to the top, just say for examples sake a rose or something, Dewey and I thought it would be nice for him to inlay some leaves and such around it so as to accent the carving and not "busy" it up. I really like that idea alot. Looks like Mike has a fantastic design on the feet/bottom assembly so we are moving forward,
    keep the train a'rollin!!

    Jim
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.





  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Steve.
    I don't know what vector format is? I can send you the original files but they will have to be converted. They are JPEGS now but I drew the originals up in powerpoint and then converted them so I could post.
    That's OK.....I can work with whatever you send me. Send both if you can (the PP and JPG)....maybe one would work better than the other.

    Just as an FYI....a vector file can be scaled without the loss of any resolution.....whereas a JPEG would look horrible if you tried to make it 6'x6'. Vectors are just easier to work with.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....





    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Waterford, MI
    Posts
    4,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    ... Maybe thin the top down somewhat so it isnt as high.
    ...
    That might not much room for a front mounted handle. Unless you folks want to go with a top handle, which I think is going to make fitting it in around the inlay and carving more complicated. How tall is the top in the existing SU model? And how tall from the lower drawer opening to the top opening? And much much were you thinking of thinning down?
    Use the fence Luke

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    That might not much room for a front mounted handle. Unless you folks want to go with a top handle, which I think is going to make fitting it in around the inlay and carving more complicated. How tall is the top in the existing SU model? And how tall from the lower drawer opening to the top opening? And much much were you thinking of thinning down?
    Not much Doug just kind of lighten it up a bit so the top is not quite as heavy looking, make any sense?? Again this depends on whether its a one board flat top or a frame and panel design.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •