Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: SMC Collaboration 01: Keepsake Box

Fine, I can do the sketch-up. I only have the freebie version but I'm not too bad with it.

What did you think of the box I built and provided a link for? Something like that? What kinda interior are we looking at?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Ok group lets Welcome Chris to the list of contributors, hes our sketch up guy. Chris PM me when you get a chance and we can talk size, shape etc. And as usual if anyone has any ideas for ANY part of this let us know. The more input from everyone the better I say!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Im happy to announce that Jim Becker has agreed to do the finish work for the project. As you guys know Jim doesnt post much here so it was good to have him on board!! Welcome Jim and Chris.
    Jim also suggested a charity for us to think about, Bridge Of Hope. Its the hosting program he met his daughters through.
    Add that one to the list which now consists of:
    St Judes
    Habitat for Humanity
    Bridge Of Hope
    Jim Kountz porch rebuild fund. (Just kidding folks!!) For those who dont know or didnt see my post, my truck got away from me on the ice this weekend and I ran into my front porch!!

Anyway sans the front porch project, all the above charities are all good ones and its really just a matter of picking one I guess. Most everyone I have talked to seems to gravitate towards something that helps children and Im all for that, after all they are our future right!!??

Chris, I think the size of the box you linked to is definitely in the ball park. My original thoughts were a simple dovetailed box with a drawer at the bottom and a lid that had some overhang on top. Single board thickness for the lid. The feet or base would let the piece stand up a bit and add to the overall height. I was also starting to think of incorporating some lighter wood in the top, perhaps maple for example just so any laser work would show up better?? I guess this is a question more than anything as I dont know squat about the whole laser thing and what it can/cant do. Wide open for thought here so dont be shy folks step right up!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    My original thoughts were a simple dovetailed box
    There is about a 0% chance of this being a "simple" box with the crew you are assembling here. This is going to be one fancy box!

I think this is a great idea! I can't wait to see the finished product and all the progress reports and pictures along the way.
    It might be a good idea to document this project in a blog instead of a thread. It might be easier to manage that way.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Updated map
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Let me work on putting together a basic box and then we can add details to it until we find the more or less final look.

Lets keep ALL communication in this thread so that anyone at anytime can go back and read/reference the thread to ascertain the evolvement of the project.

I can post .JPG files from SU because it is likely that the SU file will be too large to post here directly.

I'll work on this tonight and post some stuff over the weekend.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-06-2009 at 10:33 AM.

Looks like all the bases are already covered.
    I can provide the all-important cat hair for the finishing process if you come up short there
    Use the fence Luke

Hey Doug!
    I am doing the feet, and I am in Clinton Twp., when the box gets to me, do you wanna help?
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Looks like all the bases are already covered.
    I can provide the all-important cat hair for the finishing process if you come up short there
    Doug,
    If you are interested you could make a handle for the lid or if you are any good at wooden hinges. Otherwise we will likely use hardware for the hinge and one of us will make the handle.
    Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Hey Doug!
    I am doing the feet, and I am in Clinton Twp., when the box gets to me, do you wanna help?
    Mike
    Got the PM - that sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Doug,
    If you are interested you could make a handle for the lid ....
    Sure. Sign me up for a handle. I've got enough various woods lying about that I'm sure I could find something that would work out with the overall look. I could even dress it up by inlaying the handle. I've still got paua abalone pieces left over from my plane pimping adventure
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...09&postcount=2
    or malachite, brass, contrasting wood, yada, yada, yada...
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Got the PM - that sounds good.

Sure. Sign me up for a handle. I've got enough various woods lying about that I'm sure I could find something that would work out with the overall look. I could even dress it up by inlaying the handle. I've still got paua abalone pieces left over from my plane pimping adventure
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...09&postcount=2
    or malachite, brass, contrasting wood, yada, yada, yada...
    Ok Doug... you are in! Since you live so close to Mike and you two will be working on it together that is great because we won't have to ship another time! Perfect!
    Dewey

Logistics

Ok all!
    Here is what we need to do next:
    Jim and Chris - work on initial design and post:

Once we have a general look at the box, everyone should start working on "designing" their parts. Unless your part of the build prohibits, please do not wait on the box to arrive to start designing. Some of you won't be able to do anything "build wise" until the box arrives but others will be able to at least get the general design together and maybe even start now.

The idea here is to keep the box moving. We have purposely set the builds up where everyone should have but a small simple task for their part and be able to get it in the mail to the next person fairly quickly without rushing the artists. If any member should run into a snag, please post so the group can help. We don't want the box to sit and not be worked on so try to be ready when it comes.

Let’s also be careful of the climate differences. Who ever ships to me has to know that the box is going to shrink in the first week. Likewise if I shipped the box to one of the east coasters it will likely swell. This is especially important for the lid and the interior.

Additionally, please try now to identify possible conflicts with your portion of the build end everyone else’s.

Ed,
    You are making a simple lift out tray with divided compartments (you decide the divider dimensions well as the depth of the tray (should be shallow like a jewelry box), and leave the rest open in the bottom, then do the flocking. If you are not comfortable with the tray, I vote Chris does it, but if so then it is your baby but we need a reply.

Steve,
    Final say is up to you as it is with each building member, but if you think it would look good, how about the SMC logo on the bottom middle and Collaborated by: "xxx" names / what they did to the box in smaller font under each name surrounding the centered logo, with the charity fit in as you see fit? Could we each send you a digital signature or is that too much? If we do the engraving right after Jim K. and leave room for Mikes feet, each could sign it in sharpie as they get the box...just a couple of ideas. Chris, can you help here and work with Steve as well?

All,
    I will begin coordinating a routing / shipping order for the box and I will post it. Once I do this, please, everyone make a sanity check first and then we will finalize and exchange addresses and contact info as needed.

Did I forget anything so far???

Would anyone who did not get to participate like to handle logistics or help me with them?

Would anyone be interested in a wooden hinge? Last call! If we don't get a taker for this I need the Creek to throw up some recommendations on hardware. All can play!
    Dewey

I was kinda hopin' someone had done the Incra wooden hinge or has the kit to make them....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I was kinda hopin' someone had done the Incra wooden hinge or has the kit to make them....
    Oh I got the jig. Just never used it yet and wouldn't want to guinea pig this poor project with newb stooopidness. Got all wrapped on stuff like epoxy floor painting, cyclone DC, workbench, doghouse, and numerous other things since buying it and so far I've only learned how to open the box.
    Use the fence Luke