Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: SMC Collaboration 01: Keepsake Box

Terrific idea! The logistics might get a bit hairy but it should be fun for both those involved and those who just watch it happening.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

To the carver

Be it Jackie or Jackie and someone else, we will need to coordinate the carving effort with the inlay efforts. I can do most anything I just want to make sure it matches.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Someone good at sketchup

Jim,
    Let's find some sketchup guru and draw this thing up so folks can give more feedback. What we need is for someone to draw up what we have so far and save the file on your computer so we can get inputs from the creek and modify to fit.

I would do this but with my SU skills it would take us forever.

Sketchup person,
    So far it is a walnut box roughly 16" x 11" (not sure if height but have to put it in a standard cardboard box) with a pullout drawer on bottom front with two turned knobs, a jewelry box style lid and classic ogee style 2 part feet.

Any takers please respond before you start working so we don't have a bunch of folks attempting to draft at the same time. … or maybe that isn’t such a bad idea???
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 02-04-2009 at 4:01 PM.
    Dewey

I'll be happy to provide some MAJOR chip-out or cut something too short for the next guy to fix!!

Inlay sounds nice but how about some nice crotch figure or something?

Here is an idea of a jewelry box I made a long time ago: Jewelry Box
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I'd be happy to do some laser engraving on it. Perhaps "Sawmill Creek", or everyone's names on the bottom?
    Computer programs - CorelDraw X4, Vista operating system, Photograv, so many others.

Dye-sublimation. Epson 1400, Knight 16" x 20" press

I would be happy to donate the Laser Work. You can PM me when that part is ready.
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

Wow I just got home and checked this thread, it has BOOMED!! Thanks to all who has replied and offered their services. I can see this thing getting huge before its all done and the start of something really cool here.
    Right now we need a sketchup guy unless we just want to do this the old fashioned way which is fine too. I love the idea of the names lasered on the box somewhere.
    Dewey, call me my friend we need to get things squared away.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

For the Laser guys~

I genuinely had no idea the response would be this great so that was my fault for underestimating the Laser crowd! It is about time we joined forces.

There are three of you signed up and we need only one. SO...

Mike Chip and Steve:

Steve was here first and has my contact info so he gets first crack. Steve you have the floor. Yes or no?

If not then Chip then Mike. Does that sound fair to you all?
    Dewey

If you decide to laser it after construction, I can do it so long as it does not get any larger than 6'x10'x2'. Also, I don't see the need for a waterjet, but just know one is available should you need it.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Harper View Post
    If you decide to laser it after construction, I can do it so long as it does not get any larger than 6'x10'x2'. Also, I don't see the need for a waterjet, but just know one is available should you need it.
    Thanks Jack. The plan is for about 11"x16 so far so that sounds like it will fit. I have no earthly idea what a water jet is. We should have it covered but as I said above you laser guys are great! Thanks.
    Dewey

Ok folks heres what we got so far:

Myself - basic box construction
    Dewey Torres - Inlay work
    Keith Outten - CNC work
    Ken Fitzgerald - Turned knobs
    Mike Holden - Ogee bracket feet
    Ed Salle - Interior flocking and/or partitions? Ed what do you think?
    Steve Clarkson - Laser work
    I think we have a finisher but Im not 100% just yet. If the person we're talking to doesnt or cant do it, then that will be up for grabs too so keep your eye on this thread.

Still looking for someone with Sketchup skills to do an initial design for us. If anyone is interested please contact myself of Dewey for more details.

We're on our way!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Steve you have the floor. Yes or no?
    I'd be honored to do it.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    I'd be honored to do it.
    Ok Steve you are in!
    Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Ok Steve you are in!
    Nice to have you on board Steve!!

Ok folks here we go!

Dewey