Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: SMC Collaboration 01: Keepsake Box

I also like option 1. Option 2 is nice looking, but it's just a little... odd. I'm not sure what exactly it is.
    Trying desperately to get over my fear of spending money.

Ken,
    I too would prefer option one, it just seems more "finished" somehow.

Excellent work!

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Rick,

My apologies for sitting on it this long.

As luck would have it, I just finished the crate and am padding it.

Dewey Torres would be the most logical next recipient but he hasn't checked in since November. Since his transfer to Whidby Island, he hasn't been on the Creek much. I just sent him a PM.

I built a wooden crate for it. I am cutting the foam pads.

I am ready to ship it and think Jim Becker is the next most logical recipient.

I would like to ship it out this week.

What say ye?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-08-2011 at 3:35 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, no apologies to me required. I was just remarking that the premise for this project was great but the logistics have become an issue that has often threatened the project (or at the very least the general interest).
    I don't know what the next process is but I'm sure Mr. Becker could handle it if he wishes.
    btw, thanks for your participation. The handles look great!

Well....here it is....this is how it looks now...... I built this crate.....the foam..is 3" high density foam...cut to fit........... I need an name and address...

box1.jpg box4.jpg box2.jpg box3.jpg
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-08-2011 at 8:23 PM.
    Ken

Great Job on the crate Ken. I think with the attention to detail everyone along the way has given, the time it takes is secondary. I know we have lost some peoples' interest along the way but I for one think we are still doing great...still moving. Logistics is probably more than we gave it credit for at the beginning. Whoever is next will give it the quality attention each of us has and won't let it leave their shop until it meets their high standards.

Hey guys, its been quite a while since I dropped in on the Creek and this project but I thought Id pop in and say hello and tell everyone thats worked on this so far that it looks fantastic!! Ken, great job with the handle and knob!! Nice crate too!! I hope Dewey chimes in here but Im not sure he is able to do anything with it right now, he would have to answer that for us. If not I agree that Mr Becker would be the next recipient. However as I was typing that I remembered someone was going to do some flocking?? Was that right?? Help me to remember guys!!????
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Address sent to Ken
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I am occupied today.....I have guests in my home, a contractor coming over to start stripping and reroofing my house and a visit from a professional woodworker and his spouse. Another person has stepped up to volunteer to do something if they can. I have the box sealed ready to ship. It may be tomorrow before I have time but I will open the crate, assess what needs to be done and we'll go from there.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-11-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    Ken

Well I'm fairly new here but I would be glad to volunteer to provide and install the linings for the drawer bottoms. I'm just not sure if the box is at that point yet. What's left? final sanding? finishing?

Two weeks have passed and the offer still stands...I'd consider it an honor to step up and finish sand the two drawers, maybe some BLO if everyone agrees or just a wash coat of blond shellac for the hidden parts of the drawers and line the bottoms.....

PM me an address. I will ship it to the next person. I want it out of my shop.

I have done my portion. I want it out of my shop.
    Ken

PM Sent. Thanks.

My apologies......I just saw the thread and pictures of the box you made.....nice job.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

State of the Union Address (Received box)

I received the box today from Ken, beautifully crated, and proceded to remove and examine it. I took some time to go over it to see what work it needed and how near completion it actually is. I also took some pictures to give everyone a detailed look at the current condition. First let me say that it is obvious that there are some very talented and knowledgable members here. It's obvious, in a good way, that this box was made by different people. Very different viewpoints and tastes made there way into what you see here. I think that's great! and, the very thing that makes this so special. I am honored to be a small part of it.

Here are my observations:
    First, three of the bracket feet had come off and were loose in the crate when I opened it

These feet are highly detailed and reflect a high degree of expertise.
    Here's a pic before and after I cleaned up the feet

A close look at the base shows how the mitered joints have separated from wood movement, causing the glue joint at the foot to fail. This is a guess because the box was so well packed with high density foam that I don't believe the feet came loose during shipping. Here's a close up of the base..

This needs some discussion but a fix might be to redo the base in a slightly beefier dimension, 5/8" or 3/4", where we could still incorporate the cove detail and still have room to incorporate some visible splines, maybe 1/8" walnut? Given the scale of the box I don't think a larger base would look out of place.

As for the rest, here are some pics of the hidden drawer

And the main drawer..

Packed inside the main drawer are three sets of beautiful wooden hinges.

These hinges were made by Larry Edgerton and are expertly crafted. We have to find a way to incorporate these into this box.
    Speaking of hinges, a small set of brass hinges connect the top frame to the main body.

I'm not sure what the plan was here, but this box deserves more, it deserves those wooden hinges.

Here's a pic of the box with all the components temporarily attached..

Once these minor issues are addressed there really isn't all that much more that needs to be done to complete this.
    If we can get a concensus on the finish I will finish sand the two drawers and apply the finish we agree to and apply the lining to the bottom of the two drawers.

Hope we can get a dialogue going and make some decisions to get this puppy done!!
    Last edited by Joe Leigh; 10-17-2011 at 9:02 PM.