Thread: SMC Collaboration 01: Keepsake Box

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation SMC Collaboration 01: Keepsake Box

Ok guys for the last couple of days my good friend Dewey Torres and I have been talking back and forth both here in PM's and on the phone about a pretty cool concept that we hope will be something really special and perhaps even start a trend here at SMC.
    This is what we want to do.
    Take a simple project such as a small box or something, pass it around all over the country to fellow creekers and have each one add their own touch to it. We realize that a small project like a box would only require a few people but as I said this could be a start of something new for SMC. We thought we would take a simple box, made of walnut dovetailed together with an opening for a small drawer at the bottom. I would take care of supplying the wood for the initial box and get it over to Dewey who would then add some of his spectacular inlay work. Then it would be off to someone else for some base moldings then some carving and finally some finish. Each person involved would be responsible for shipping to the next guy or gal so we feel by keeping the project small it would be easier on everyone.
    We're doing a box, perhaps some others folks here would want to do a small table or cabinet of some kind. The idea here is not to show off or say how great thou art but more to get to know each other better and have a chance to do something we wouldnt normally be able to do, work with each other on a single project.
    The final project we would like to either raffle or donate it for a cause whether it be SMC or another worthwhile effort.
    So, what do you guys think?? We are looking for a carver, someone to do the moldings and any other suggestions you guys may have. We have a finisher in mind already and like I said good ol Dewey will take care of the inlay work.
    If you want in just let me or Dewey know and we can go from there. If you cant get in on this one, start another project with your circle of friends or however you want to work it!! Best part is have fun with it and build something nice!!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-24-2010 at 10:26 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.