Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SMC Collaboration 01: Keepsake Box

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation SMC Collaboration 01: Keepsake Box

Ok guys for the last couple of days my good friend Dewey Torres and I have been talking back and forth both here in PM's and on the phone about a pretty cool concept that we hope will be something really special and perhaps even start a trend here at SMC.
    This is what we want to do.
    Take a simple project such as a small box or something, pass it around all over the country to fellow creekers and have each one add their own touch to it. We realize that a small project like a box would only require a few people but as I said this could be a start of something new for SMC. We thought we would take a simple box, made of walnut dovetailed together with an opening for a small drawer at the bottom. I would take care of supplying the wood for the initial box and get it over to Dewey who would then add some of his spectacular inlay work. Then it would be off to someone else for some base moldings then some carving and finally some finish. Each person involved would be responsible for shipping to the next guy or gal so we feel by keeping the project small it would be easier on everyone.
    We're doing a box, perhaps some others folks here would want to do a small table or cabinet of some kind. The idea here is not to show off or say how great thou art but more to get to know each other better and have a chance to do something we wouldnt normally be able to do, work with each other on a single project.
    The final project we would like to either raffle or donate it for a cause whether it be SMC or another worthwhile effort.
    So, what do you guys think?? We are looking for a carver, someone to do the moldings and any other suggestions you guys may have. We have a finisher in mind already and like I said good ol Dewey will take care of the inlay work.
    If you want in just let me or Dewey know and we can go from there. If you cant get in on this one, start another project with your circle of friends or however you want to work it!! Best part is have fun with it and build something nice!!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-24-2010 at 10:26 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Dewey & Jim, I like the idea. Since my home and shop are in transition from one location to another and will be for quite some time, I'll opt out of participating this time around. I'd love to see the progress though. Perhaps, after I finally get settled in the new place I'll be able to participate.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Don, thanks for the encouraging words and by all means, when you get settled we'll do it again and you have a spot reserved just for being the first to respond!!

I'll turn the knob or knobs for the drawer.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You got it Ken!!

Jim,Dewey I think thats a great idea. maybe everyone envolved could sign the bottom or something like that
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

David thats a good idea too, this is what I was looking forward to the most, getting ideas from others, stuff I hadnt even thought of. Thanks!!

Excellent idea! I think the last step of the process should be to sell it in some sort of charity auction or donate it to a deserving non-creeker. Of course that's up do the guy providing the wood.

I wish I could provide some service to the box, but I am trying to finish a dresser, rearrange my shop, and then I am going to be making several bandsaw boxes and other small boxes for my first craft show.

-R

Jim,
    Put me down for some feet on your box. Right now I am thinking ogee bracket style, but, let me see the box first!
    Mike

BTW, Dewey has my contact info.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Great idea! One day when my skills are refined enough I will volunteer my services to some part a project like this.

Other Ideas:

LASER COMMUNITY

Why don’t we involve the Laser folks to put all of our names on the box bottom just before the finish? Thoughts?

HINGE MAKERS:
    Any folks who can do wooden hinges?

LID HANDLE:
    I know of some Creekers that are very good at these, some who even have stickies on hand made ones.

THE GUTS:
    Anyone want to tackle the inside? Lift outs? Flocking? Other?

THE ONLINE CONTRIBUTORS:
    For all those who are not able to participate in the hands on portion, you can still contribute your design ideas but we need them before the construction starts. Extended of course, to this crowd it "what to do / sell / the final product". Putting together the raffle, advertizing, etc.

All participants who need my contact info please PM. Some of you already have it.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Other Ideas:

LASER COMMUNITY

Why don’t we involve the Laser folks to put all of our names on the box bottom just before the finish? Thoughts?

HINGE MAKERS:
    Any folks who can do wooden hinges?

LID HANDLE:
    I know of some Creekers that are very good at these, some who even have stickies on hand made ones.

THE GUTS:
    Anyone want to tackle the inside? Lift outs? Flocking? Other?

THE ONLINE CONTRIBUTORS:
    For all those who are not able to participate in the hands on portion, you can still contribute your design ideas but we need them before the construction starts. Extended of course, to this crowd it "what to do / sell / the final product". Putting together the raffle, advertizing, etc.

All participants who need my contact info please PM. Some of you already have it.

I'll be building wooden hinges tomorrow. Do you still need them? What kind of wood would you like em in. I have lots of curly maple, a little Bubinga, shedua, rosewood and some others. Do you need any veneers?
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Count me in for design (traditional designs specially). I would love to do something physical but shipping costs a lot to Turkey...
    epilog mini24 45W laser
    purex indoor air filter
    black&decker compressor
    felix compressor&airbrush

sawgrass sublimation system

Information is valuable only when it's shared.

Best exercise is the race itself-M.Schumacher.

I would be happy to donate the Laser Work. You can PM me when that part is ready.
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

Wow I just got home and checked this thread, it has BOOMED!! Thanks to all who has replied and offered their services. I can see this thing getting huge before its all done and the start of something really cool here.
    Right now we need a sketchup guy unless we just want to do this the old fashioned way which is fine too. I love the idea of the names lasered on the box somewhere.
    Dewey, call me my friend we need to get things squared away.