Thread: Delta 22-580 13" Planer

Delta 22-580 13" Planer

Guys, I'm looking to buy a planer for my shop, last major tool I have to get...at least that I know of right now. Anyway, I like the Delta 22-580 two speed planer, have read a lot of good reviews, and seems like a good deal compared to the new DW735 for the money. I went to Delta's website and couldn't find it, is it discontinued? What gives?

That's odd. There is still a picture but no product page.

Amazon is still shipping them.

I really like mine.

The 735 is superior, plus you can upgrade to a shelix cutterhead

Found one on there for $429, but shipping is like $60. I was hoping for free shipping. Guess I'll keep looking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wellner View Post
    For that matter, I tried one and went with a 734 even though it is 12.5" and only one speed. The three knives left a better surface than either speed on the Delta. That was just my experience and my choice. It seemed like a nice machine, I just preferred the DeWalt.

Here's a bit from a FWW review that doesn't mention the 734:

The Delta is a good, solid machine with lots of power. It leaves an excellent finish surface. The machine includes two feed speeds. The low feed speed setting increases the cuts per inch creating a better surface. Blade changes are easy. My two picks for best overall are the DeWalt 735 and the Craftsman 21759. The Delta 22-580 and Steel City planers were just behind these two leaders.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A friend recently purchased one here:

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/22-580...g-Planer/H8481

Andy

Chris,

I have the 22-580 and it has performed well.

That said, Lowes has the DeWalt DW734 for $300. (YMMV)
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...734&lpage=none

Wes

I've had the 22-580 for about three years now. I have thrown about 500bf of mostly red oak at it and have never had to even flip the reversible knives. I have seen many saw the DeWalt's eat knives. No matter which you choose add a Wixey digital height gauge.

Good Luck,

Mike

Steel City is supposed to be coming out with a 13" planer with a helical cutter.....single speed, so it prob still won't match up to the Delta or Dewalt lunchboxes....
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

For $400, I would wait to get a used 15 inch planer.

I have this planer, got it new and like it. I also purchased a used 15 inch planer to get the added size and weight, which I then sold to get a used 18 inch Woodmaster. It seems that no matter how big my planer is, I can always find boards that are wider

I still have the delta and am thinking of selling it once I get the woodmaster all tuned up.

There is a used 22-580 in the local CL for 375, which seems a tad high, particularly without the optional dust chute or extra knives. I sold my G1021 for $450.

the Delta 22-580 leaves a better finish than the MM FS30 combo jointer/planer.

I owned both and actually used both at the same time, but sold the Delta.

hands down that is a great planer.

The drawback to those lunch boxes is that they are really really really really noisy.

and that is why I sold it. my drum sander can handle the fine finishing.

also, the Delta did not product snipe when planing (of course operator error can cause snipe)

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

My 22-580 speed control quit working; repair shop 'fixed it', but that didn't last more than a couple months. Also, it has trouble GRIPPING the board and feeding it steadily through. I've cleaned the rollers and waxed the tables w/o a much improvement; I'm probably due for a blade change, but that didn't make much difference last time. Any other suggestions? Thx

Marky, I’d suggest posting your own thread. An 11 year old thread about which planer to buy won’t give you a lot of views.

Your roller pressure is probably off, or if it has rubber rollers they’re probably getting hard from age. Do some googling on it, you can “refresh” them. Sharp blades help a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wellner View Post
    I agree and I speak from experience

Quote Originally Posted by marky young View Post
    My 22-580 speed control quit working; repair shop 'fixed it', but that didn't last more than a couple months. Also, it has trouble GRIPPING the board and feeding it steadily through. I've cleaned the rollers and waxed the tables w/o a much improvement; I'm probably due for a blade change, but that didn't make much difference last time. Any other suggestions? Thx
    Same thing happened to me. Get a DeWalt.
    There's that old quote about buying cheap tools often