Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC 6" Piping Source (ASTM2729)

PVC 6" Piping Source (ASTM2729)

I am preparing to install a Clearvue 1800 Cyclone, so I started the odyssey of searching for the hard to get 6" PVC S&D piping (ASTM 2729). I am in Southern Connecticut and I found Ferguson Waterworks @ 203-384-9402. They have the pipe, 45 degree elbows, couplers, and 6X6X4 wyes. The prices are very attractive (less than McMasters) and they they will sell to non business people. More importantly, they are nationwide and the following link will get you to a local office. I dealt with Ryan Radiochi and he was very helpful especially since my order will not be that large.

http://www.ferguson.com/

I hope this is of some value.

Paul,

What kinda prices are you getting on the pipe and fittings? Is your pipe green or white?

I found putting two 45s together is pretty close to a long-radiused 90 and much cheaper. How about the cost for a 6x6x6 wye? You'll want some of those as well.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I got all mine at Menards when it went on sale. I know they are not everywhere but it can be a very attractive price if you are near one.

I tried both the Ferguson, and the Ferguson Waterworks here locally. Regular store was clueless. The Waterworks store had no idea what I was talking about, but spent a good 30 minutes looking up information and calling suppliers. I had them pull up the McMaster-Carr website and look at the fittings!! In the end, they thought they came up with what I wanted and would order it and ship it to me free, but without seeing it first, because of all of the confusion, I was reluctant to order it. Prices weren't great, but in line with Lowe's. Hopefully your experience will be different.
    But I still say don't go in asking for STM2729. Ask for 6" thin wall gravity fed sewer and drain pipe. You'll have much better luck getting what you are looking for. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I called Menards In Lansing they carry the 6" thin wall $24.00 10 ft
    45's 7.00 and 6x6x6 wye's 15.00.
    For comparison.
    Thank You
    Ed

Menards as stated - it's the 30xx stuff here but still thinwall and fittings almost the same. Scuff up the ends and it's tight on 2729.
    Mills Fleet Farms carry the 6" 2729 - $21.29 per 10', the wyes from Menards as stated 6x6x6 $14.69 and 6x6x4 were $13.79, couplings were $5.69, end caps $3.47. Prices were in effect at about 7:00pm last night.
    Wanna guess how I know
    Dropped better than $240 at that. Metal was about $475

Paul, thanks for the tip. I called ferguson's here in pensacola and they had what I need. ( only place in town ) $ 2.30 a foot
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I have done some checking around and that seems to be the going rate. I did check on 6" snap lock metal duct at the local HVAC supplier and they had it for $5.60 for a 5' length. So thats about half price but I am still leaning towards the pvc, I think it will be stronger and easier to work with.

Sewer and Drain, S&D (ASTM 2729) is also called "solid perf" (also comes with holes- called "perf"). As most of you know big box stores carry it in 4", but 6" can be difficult to find. You can get the 6" at most John Deere Landscapes suppliers- a nationwide chain, almost everywhere since they have been buying up others. There is one in Pensacola and a few others in the panhandle and quite a few in Ct.

One caveat- if you are not a contractor yourself, have a contractor buy it for you, otherwise JD charges almost twice as much!!!

More places carry the heavier, thicker walled SDR 35 (green stuff) (ASTM 3034). It has the same OD as ASTM 2729 so all the fittings are the same. You will notice the fittings often have a bunch of ASTM no.s- ASTM 2729, 3034, 3035. I have actually seen basic ASTM 2729 fittings- they were light weight plastic, not PVC, but who cares.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 02-03-2009 at 6:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wunder View Post
    I am preparing to install a Clearvue 1800 Cyclone, so I started the odyssey of searching for the hard to get 6" PVC S&D piping (ASTM 2729). I am in Southern Connecticut and I found Ferguson Waterworks @ 203-384-9402. They have the pipe, 45 degree elbows, couplers, and 6X6X4 wyes. The prices are very attractive (less than McMasters) and they they will sell to non business people. More importantly, they are nationwide and the following link will get you to a local office. I dealt with Ryan Radiochi and he was very helpful especially since my order will not be that large.

http://www.ferguson.com/

I hope this is of some value.
    I am trying to get it here in south Florida, and am having serious trouble. They are telling me it is special order stuff. They don't even know what it is...
    Do you have part numbers and prices, because it seems like I cannot get anyone down here to help! Thanks in advance for your help.
    Ted Harris
    Hollywood, Florida USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    I am trying to get it here in south Florida, and am having serious trouble. They are telling me it is special order stuff. They don't even know what it is...
    Do you have part numbers and prices, because it seems like I cannot get anyone down here to help! Thanks in advance for your help.
    Try John Deere Landscapes- there are 67 of them all over FL, including many in the south- Dania Beach, Weston, Boca Raton, Miami (2), Margate.

JDL here in NC carries 6" S&D (also called "solid perf", thin wall gravity drain, etc.) ASTM D2729 in 10' lengths so I would think one or more of the FL locations would carry it too since you have a lot of drainage issues down there!

BIG CAUTION, unless you are a fast talker, a contractor of some sort, or get a contractor to buy it for you, they will try to charge you double!

That being said, with all the farming, irrigation, and drainage going on in S. FL you should be able to find it at an irrigation supplier.

12. Following Alan's advice on an earlier post for the JDL.... John Deere Landscape, I was able to get 10' lengths of the ASTM2729 for about 12.90.. or about 1.29 per foot. It was the best price by far.... and... they delivered with no charge.

I told them I was building a dust collection system for a client and they were fine with that. Of course, I am both the client and the contractor, but I didn't tell them that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Ousterhout View Post
    Following Alan's advice on an earlier post for the JDL.... John Deere Landscape, I was able to get 10' lengths of the ASTM2729 for about 12.90.. or about 1.29 per foot. It was the best price by far.... and... they delivered with no charge.

I told them I was building a dust collection system for a client and they were fine with that. Of course, I am both the client and the contractor, but I didn't tell them that part.
    Great News!!! Thanks for posting!! Was that price for 4" or 6"?

14. Well, shucks Alan.... what in the world would anyone want with 4"? I don't have it installed yet, but everyone says the Clearvue really wants at least 6".
    And, from what I read.... 6" is necessary to move enough air to maximize the collection of the "fines".

That was for 6".

Thanks again for all the suggestions you give to the Creekers... You certainly saved me a bunch of money with the JDL suggestion for the 2729...

I really admire the automation work you have done, and although I will probably never go to that level with the blast gates.... it is fun to read about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Ousterhout View Post
    Well, shucks Alan.... what in the world would anyone want with 4"? I don't have it installed yet, but everyone says the Clearvue really wants at least 6".
    And, from what I read.... 6" is necessary to move enough air to maximize the collection of the "fines".

That was for 6".

Thanks again for all the suggestions you give to the Creekers... You certainly saved me a bunch of money with the JDL suggestion for the 2729...

I really admire the automation work you have done, and although I will probably never go to that level with the blast gates.... it is fun to read about.