Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FRANK how's the snow?

FRANK how's the snow?

Heavy snow in Britain causes chaos.

AP – People walk down a snow covered railway tram line in Croydon, south London, Monday, Feb. 2, 2009. Heavy …

LONDON – The British capital ground to a halt on Monday after the worst snowstorm in 18 years caused hundreds of flight cancellations and virtually shut down public transportation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Frank doesn't have any snow, he melted it all with his torch, flake by flake as it was falling
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Wow! I can't imagine London in a major snow. Everything is packed together so much more tightly than in US big cities--I can't imagine where they would put it when the shovel/plow.

London had about 8" to 10" they are about 170 miles as the crow flies from where I am. We had about 1" of snow this morning but it's gone now. It's 4 celsius but a chilly wind with it makes it seem a damned sight colder. The fifty feet to my cabin took longer than normal.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Well, that's global warming for you!
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Brown View Post
    Well, that's global warming for you!
    I suspect those folks in this country in Kentucky are saying.."Global warming..where are you when I need you!!"
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Cool Global warming

Well I certainly hope that Frank is warm and cozy in the cabin but for those of us in KY it wasn't warm at all! I personally believe that global warming is a reality. It may be a funny quip to use but over the next 25 years we’ll see whether or not our damage to Mother Earth has indeed produced global warming . I can say that she will win no matter what! And DARN it was cold! But not as bad as 2003 where we were without power for 10 days. This year it was only 5 days but that’s where my anti-freeze post came from.

It was funny to see the news reports with 5" in Paris (France not Kentucky) and 10" in London (again France not Kentucky). For some reason there are a lot of towns here with European names and really funny pronunciations. People looked at me really funny after moving to Kentucky when I said I lived near Versailles. Here they pronounce it “ver-seylz” insead of “ver-sahy”. I only knew it as Versailles, France!

Blog Entries
    Pete,

Try getting Massachusetts out-of-towners to pronounce Gloucester and Worcester correctly!

(For those who have never lived in New England, they're pronounced Gloss-ter and Wuss-ter... Frank probably already knows this)
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I do! Getting back to the weather, temperature rose to 3 celsius today and the sun was shining from first thing until 1.30 amazing difference. Last night we'd had about an inch of snow but it was all gone again this morning. I wonder what they do with it?
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Pete,

Try getting Massachusetts out-of-towners to pronounce Gloucester and Worcester correctly!

(For those who have never lived in New England, they're pronounced Gloss-ter and Wuss-ter... Frank probably already knows this)
    That would be Gloss-Tah and Wuss-Tah.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Snow is that white stuff you see in pictures of skiiers, right?
    We haven't had snow, but a definite cold snap here. We nearly broke our all-time cold record of 54 degrees fahrenheit last week.
    I like reading about the global warming and cooling cycles; it's starting to look like the cycle may be shifting again.

Frank, don't you Brits still have streets named 'Vineyard' and such, left over from the last bout of warming? Bet that's looking better all the time.
    Marc Myer
    Epilog 35 mini

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    That would be Gloss-Tah and Wuss-Tah.
    Doood, let's go down ta Haahvahd Yahd, get sum beeahs and beet up on sum Baahnees....

How I do not miss that accent... my mid-Western was hard enough to get rid of, and even now I still have a funky way of pronouncing 'r's.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

A little note on global warming......I work part time for a historical society near here. Part of my job is looking through microfilm of papers back into the early 1800s. Just last week I read an old newspaper article that talked about the 70 degree temperatures, a tornado that had come through (suspected tornado), heavy rains like they had never seen, trees starting to bud, etc etc. The funny part is, it was from the 1850s and it was JANUARY!! We are in the northeastern part of Pennsylvania and 70s in January is pretty rare. When I was done reading the article to my co workers they thought it was written in the present and were already complaining about global warming. I'm not so sure about this global warming thing. I am keeping my ears open to learn more

Lisa

Warning

Nobody has yet...but because we have had a terrible time keeping "global warming" away from political (and heated) discussions... please... please... please... don't cross that line.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I believe there was a large meeting with climatologists recently somewhere in the world and over 600 of them (doing this from memory) went on record saying they believe we are entering a 1500 year cycle ice age.

Eggs are bad for you, no good for you, no bad for you, fiber is good, no bad, no good, no bad, white bread is bad, no good, no bad, no good, blah blah blah.

Scientists haven't gotten much right on all the big things out there. Who knows? Exactly no one!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.