Thread: Hock plane kit

Hock plane kit

Hey,
    I received great advice in the last post I posted and would like to ask another question. I was thinking of getting a Hock plane kit, not the shoulder kit but the other. Is it a jack plane? I am very new to this and plan to buy a Lie-Nielsen low angle block plane. I just found a Stanley #4 that I plan to practice sharpening. I will also buy a new blade for it, just so I have a decent working plane. So that gives me a block plane, a #4 and I was wondering if the Hock plane kit is an acceptable substitution for a #5.
    Thanks,
    casey

It can be whatever you want it to be as long as you set it up right.

Keep in mind that it's not as long as a #5 and it's 1 1/2 inches wide instead of 2.

I just jumped into the shop to measure my #5 and my Hock. I made my Hock about as long as the kit would allow. It is about 2" shorter than the #5. If you had a #6 or #7 the Hock would be a good sub for #5. But the extra length of the 5 may come in handy if you don't have a regular jointer. In my mind there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to use the Hock for most of the tasks a 5 could handle. It just might take more care if you want to use it for jointing.
    Then again, there is something about a wooden plane....
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

thanks

Cool thanks, I think that is what I will do. Run a LN low angle block plane, the Stanley #4, Buy the Hock kit to sub for a #5, and then down the road pick up a Veritas jointer as it quite a bit cheaper then the LN. Does that sound like a pretty well rounded beginner set? Also, the best I can tell my Stanley #4 seems to be a type 16, which was made just before WWII , is that a decent model? It cleaned up really nice and seems to be in pretty good shape.
    casey

Looks like a solid plan Casey.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Since I've offered my advice on the Hock vs the #5, I hope you are happy with your choice! I was putzing in my shop yesterday and needed to clean up some end grain on a piece of oak. It is rather crappy oak. It was giving my LA stanley block some major fits on my shooting board. I don't have quality saws, so my cuts usually need a lot of clean up. I ended up clamping the pieces vertically and going after them with my Hock kit. It shaved that endgrain like nobody's business. Sooooo...I grabbed my #5, which I sharpened up recently and gave it a shot. One try and I knew it was not going to make it. Back to the Hock, and final clean up with the LA on the shooting board. I'm glad I have both planes, but that Hock has proven to be more useful to this poor boy.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Having an adjustable mouth on a no. 5 is nice for choosing how much stock removal your going to be doing. I've heard nothing but great things about the Hock plane kits, so you can't go wrong with one. Plus once you get one, you can study the assembly and make your own woodies. It sounds like ya have a good plan, and it sounds like a great beginners set up! You can always get a no. 5 later, or a no. 6 (I wish I had a no. 6) but you should be well set up to do a great deal of planing