Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photo editing Software

I don't think Irfanview has been mentioned, it's a freebee at;
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    Don't forget to download the plugins as well .

Aaron, adobe is pretty good about offering student discounts. I am not sure what your situation is but your avatar suggests you might have children in k-12.
    if you do a web search for "adobe student discount" you should be able to see if you qualify. the adobe site is probably the best one to look at though educational vendor sites will also probably show up.
    I know they have discounts for higher education and k-12 (as well as educators). Not all products are available for the discount but most are. I think you could probably get elements cheaper from amazon.

I use both photoshop and lightroom (just upgraded to lightroom 2 and it is really superior to the first version IMO).
    Hope this helps.
    Ben

I got an E-mail from Adobe today that said because I am a registered owner of Adobe Elements I can get a copy of Adobe Photoshop CS4 for $299. I haven't kept up with Photoshop updates, anyone know if this is the latest and greatest version of Photoshop?
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    I got an E-mail from Adobe today that said because I am a registered owner of Adobe Elements I can get a copy of Adobe Photoshop CS4 for $299. I haven't kept up with Photoshop updates, anyone know if this is the latest and greatest version of Photoshop?
    Yes CS4 is the latest.

It has so neat additions to it from CS2 and a few from CS3.
    Of the neatest things is the way you can change the size of and image, that is you can make it wider then it was and still looks good.

David,

I went to the Adobe site and the only thing it doesn't do that CS4 Extended does is 3D images and Dicom and Matlab images. It appears to be loaded!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bill and Ken
    Thanks on the CS4 information. I am going to try to scrape up the bucks, the offer is good until February 28th.
    David B

I'll dive in here because I just finished comparing what photo software would be best for developing RAW pix. I just bought the Lumix G1 micro Four-Thirds camera and needed better RAW capabilities than the vendor software.

Bottom line: If you are not a professional photographer blowing up prints to 25"x40"; you will be able to do everything you need in Adobe Photoshop Elements. Caveat: make sure your camera is listed on the Adobe page as a supported camera for converting RAW files.

Since Adobe is the clear market leader, there are more discussions, blogs and support sites available for Adobe than any other product.

You can download the brand-new version 7 of Photoshop Elements for $44.99 from these folks: http://www.eproductpros.com/ (usual disclaimer I have no affiliation).

The learning curve is a bit steep. But as previously mentioned in this thread, if you maintain a consistent light source, developing your RAW images will become routine.

RAW images, once converted to jpeg, are noticeably better than had you just shot and used a jpeg image. I know it is a bit of a hassle, but I for one will never shoot in jpeg again if I can avoid it!
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Photoshop Elements.