Thread: BAAAAAAH Shameless (billy) gloat

BAAAAAAH Shameless (billy) gloat

Hi all, CL score- goodbyr to the Vega 1200, HELLO Vega 1553 w/ duplicator, and 2 bowl rests, woodcut, Oneway spindle steady, 1 Crown 1/2" pm bowl gouge, and a bunch of BuckBros chisels. SWEEEET ! Yeah it's not the GIANT bowl lathe I'm wanting (or a big mustard) but heck, not bad for my 3rd lathe. If you're keeping track,
    1- Vega 1200 that I added a lot of metal to the headstock to stiffen it up,
    2- Delta LA-200 midi w/ 4jaw chuck (pawn shop score for $100)
    3- Vega 1553 w/ 48" duplicator - CL Score for $1000

Never mind the mess, winter is hard on shop space, too much crap needs to come inside, plus I'm in the midst of a Huge kitchen remodel (mine). I think I'm sucked in WAAAAAAAAY deep. I've only been turning for like 3 weeks or so. LOML says "your going to play w/ that lathe all day aren't you?" --Ummm no honey honest I won't, I just need to go out in the shop and organize stuff and clean up a little---- heh, heh, heh
    It's amazing the different personalities the 3 lathes have, what I can do on the 1200 just gets me in trouble on the 1553. Yes thats an old (green) mustard 1200 in the background (Flea-bay score for $275)
    Yes I know the Vega isn't a cadillac , but then I never was a GM kind of guy. I guess Vega would be the Mopar of lathes ??? If PM is mustard, and jet is Mayo, whats a Vega ? (baby $hit ??) Now to get it another 3" off the floor so I don't kill my back - I'm 6'3" so it is really a bit low for me at 40" to the spindle.
    Here's what I've accomplished so far - minus a few bowls that exploded and some really ugly spindles. Some spalted, some crotches, some cedar, some ?? Oh yeah a couple candlesticks and chisel handles too. I use 3/4" copper unions cut in half for collars. Wooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooooooooh - I gotta go now, the dark forces of the vortex are pulling me back to the shop (I gotta finish "cleaning"- right ?)

Oh yeah I keep forgetting this - Hank is actually my dogs name - I go by Dave (or Hippy)
    Almost forgot, the last pic is my kitchen - 8 x 12 Cedar posts and beams, vaulted ceiling etc. Knocked down a couple walls, raised a sunken living room , nothing much. The beams are mortise and tennon also - yes by hand. w/ homemade pegs (Monster vintage chisels another shameless auction score) Holy cow I'm all gloated out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hank dekeyser; 01-31-2009 at 4:08 PM.
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

HMMMM.. An alter ego Hank er...Dave

Well let me be the first to say nice kitchen!! I did that a while ago but without all the post and beam. Looks like my shop just full of stuff and love for wood!!

Have fun with the new toy!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Congrats on your new lathe! Should prove to be a lot of fun! Kitchen looks like it is going to be a showplace! Very nice!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Been drinking alot of coffee? Yeah I know lathes have their own personalities. Even the two 1954 Delta 1460s I have, each has it's own quirks and I'm the one who redid them both. My kitchen project is on its 16th month - arched the ceiling 2' - removed two walls -etc. Ain't life grand?

Congrats on the lathe and kitchen is looking good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by hank dekeyser View Post
    If PM is mustard, and jet is Mayo, whats a Vega ? (baby $hit ??)
    No, its pure GOLD baby! Congratulations on the score.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey