Thread: Gun Cabinets...

Gun Cabinets...

Has anyone designed/built anything new with gun cabinets? I'm looking for something other than the tired, old plans that we all see when looking for gun cabinet plans. Perhaps a design that is more contemporary or with clean lines. I know there are a lot of creative, talented folks out there who have designed and/or built something new and clever with their gun cabinets.

Not sure what you mean by tired plans...

Is this not a good one?

http://www.woodstore.net/codiandgunca.html
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

That's a good plan, but I feel like I've "seen it before". I guess by "tired" I mean the typical Colonial/early American design of the carcase, molding, edge treatments, etc. that gun cabinets usually have. Don't get me wrong - there's nothing wrong with that design. It's classic and timeless. It's just that my client is looking for a style of design that goes better with his other furniture and ambience/decoration of his home which is more contemporary... lots of maple and chamfered edges with oil rubbed bronze hardware. I have a concept in mind based of some of his cabinets and furniture, but I hoped to be able to buy a plan and work from there versus starting from scratch.

And to get you all in the proper frame of mind of who I'm dealing with, he wants a "firearm display" and not a "gun cabinet". That's people for you...
    Last edited by Jeff Frieburg; 01-30-2009 at 4:37 PM. Reason: added more information

Gun Case

While I don't have any plans for one. I do have one planned in my head. It is not to far off of what you would normally see as far as a gun cabinet, but my design has two side by side drawers under the guns, and below that a, space that would be all glass to display a nice pheasant mount or what ever you would want to put down there.

This might get you thinking in a different direction.

Jeff,

Are you looking for a plan that has the guns horizontal instead of vertical? Might give more a "display" effect. Try typing Gun Cabinet Wall Mounted (PDF) - Product No. 15-1412 into Google and give it a look. The moldings are probably not what you're looking for, but I think it would be pretty easy to convert to a modern style.

Corey

I don't know if Jeff likes that one, but I sure do Corey. I am going to make my own version of that very soon. That style would allow the use of expensive material without breaking the bank. It's trimmed out a little cheezy IMO, but that would be an easy fix.

I see no reason why you cannot craft a gun cabinet that has a modern or even "studio furniture" look and meet both the functional as well as the aesthetic need. Just take the dimensions that are critical from some other design and work out your own in a style that makes you happy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks to all. I think Jim is right. It looks like I'll simply have to use the critial dimentions from the more classic gun cabinets and convert them to match what style my client is looking for. I'll let you all in on how it turns out.

Some preliminary ideas: lightly stained maple, chamfered edeges, thick stock... We've discussd the use of ceiling tin on the back behind the guns for a different effect.

I'll start in on it and if I can figure out how to put pics on my posts I'll share with the Creek.

I know this is an older post but I have searched myself recently on a unique design for a gun display cabinet. The ones on the google search are all the same thing. I dont have an issue paying top dollar for a good plan. Thought I would revive the thread and see if anyone can point me in a direction.

I ran across a photo in Woodshop News that showed a high-end gun cabinet with the long guns mounted horizontally, with each rack holding 2 guns each. This is different from the normal vertical mounting that we are used to seeing in a gun cabinet. I kept the photo for future reference if I ever build one again.