Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Oneida #3hp Gloat

New Oneida #3hp Gloat

Came in from the shop last night to fine a pile of boxes in my garage from Oneida Just order it Monday so quick service.
    I really did not plan on ordering one until spring but they had a sale so I pulled the trigger unfortunately it will be a month or so until I will have time to set it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thank You
    Ed

Congratulations!!

Be sure you have at least one additional person to help you set this up when the time comes. The blower/motor section is very, very heavy and awkward to lift and you don't want to hurt yourself or the unit during assembly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes I was surprised how large and heavy the motor blower was I had to move it to the back of the garage last night so the ladies could get their cars inside 2-3 inches of new snow.
    I have a lot of things to do to get ready for the install my goals for 09 is to get control over the dust in my shop.
    Thank You
    Ed

Congrat's Ed.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

Jim

Thats a nice machine Ed, I really like mine! Jim's got some good advice for you as well.

Congratulations on a fine purchase! I love mine and it is perhaps the best investment in a "tool" that I ever made.

Very Nice, I bought a 2 HP several months ago and just finished the duct install last night. (Not sure if I would use Metal if the slate was blank). You might want to put Eye hooks in the ceiling as a just in case when installing the motor. I put mine up solo and that was kinda silly. I used the eye hooks to suspend the heavy parts with straps while I bumped them into place.

Kelseyville in northern Calif (wine country)
    Congrats, I am thinking of getting an Onieda Cyclone also -- my feeble brain is damaged from reading and considering all the dust control info and advice on the internet --- it is an area I never even considered when I first started planning on the upgrade to my woodworking hobby. Does anyone know how tolerant these units are to being outside in the weather? I plan to call Onieda to discuss this as my latest plan is to either exhaust the air outside or better yet move the entire unit to the outside wall of my shop building -- I of course can make a partial shelter as required. I have considered and am comfortable with the make-up air impact on heated or cooled air etc. and the other risks of not returning the dust collection air to the work space. The risks of not filtering the air properly and all the filter challenges all go away with just blowing the air outside -- and the noise too if I can put the entire unit outside. Anyway I think you made a wise choice --- made in the USA is worth a few bucks to me. Ed

I am pleased with the USA quality of this machine I have taken several pieces out of the boxes, with the sale price it was close to the price of the Grizzly I make my living selling made in the USA so I try to reciprocate as much as possible.

Ed
    I would think it would be OK to put outside however I would want to protect it from direct contact with rain ect. at least a roof over it also you will want to upgrade to a steel dust bin rather then the fiber one.
    My future plans are to build a an attached room to place the DC, Air Compressor and wood storage, the room will be heated the same as the shop.
    Thank You
    Ed

10. your going to love it. I had a friend help me..but he just threw the motor on his shoulder..climbed the ladder..and threw it up there. I was like....

I will have to post pics. it is way up in the air. I had to be able to put a lawnmower below the dust can...and I wanted my ducting inline with the intake. boost dem cfm's with lower static pressure.

anyway..good purchase. made like a tank, just highly visible.

Congratulations. I am in the process of saving up for one of these. Keep us updated on the install.

Kelseyville in northern Calif (wine country)

Smile Also ordered from Onieda

Well to follow-up on a post I made in this thread, I also ordered from Onieda. I went with the v-3000 product as according to them it would work well for my application and was 5DB less noisey than the dust gorilla version -- newer design I was told. I am mounting it outside, will protect it with a small "roof" to block direct rainfall and therefore bought it without any filter -- I will exhaust thru a bird screen of some sort directly into the outside air. While it is on the way I am deciding what to do about the ducting -- pretty simple, about a 20' run with three drops. I will let Onieda design and quotes something and compare to what I can do with some PVC and some Onieda parts ---- great company to work with so far.

Ed (in Northern Calif)

I wrote somewhere else about this subject.I bought a 2 h.p. Dust Gorilla some years ago. It is in a smaller room off of my main room. My main shop is 30'X40',with 9' ceiling. It was built onto an original 16'X22' single car garage,8' ceiling. All is sheetrocked,so the motor is only a few inches from the ceiling. I did bolt mine to the wall,but also cut some 2" square angle iron legs. There are 2 legs that splay outwards a bit,bolted to the bolt ring above the cyclone,and to the floor. The unit was heavy,and I have back trouble,but got the blower up with a strong 22 year old girl who works for us.

The unit is pretty loud.It must be more than the advertised 75 DB. advertised. May be the low ceiling,and wall mounting. My wood room has a wooden floor anyway,so something was going to vibrate,anyway.

With the motor close to the ceiling,you should know that unless you let the unit run some time after starting,it will only start 3 or 4 times per hour. the switch has features to keep the motor from overheating.

I made 6" pipe connections,followed by 6" clear wire hoses to the big machines-saw,planer,jointer. 4" to all else. Bare copper wires ground all hoses thoroughly. Be careful. Collectors are dangerous if static sets them on fire,they are like a jet engine.

Be aware that you may have trouble getting home owner's insurance if they know you have a collector.

The unit does fine,but for the noise. I also had a shutter equipped 18" exaust fan mounted in the wall just beside the pleated filter. If any dust leaks out,the fan takes it outside,and creats a little air flow towards itself,keeping thrown dust out of the main room where I have metal working machine tools,and no one else to keep it clean!!! don't think my wife would feature that. Used on its lowest setting,the fan doesn't draw out much heat or cooling from the shop.

I don't advise exausting your collector outdoors as it would quickly blow all the heat out,and suck in humid air in the summer. I like the unit,but would rather have built it into a closet. If I put it outside,I'd prefer to enclose it in a fully protective shed,but that's just me. You don't have to use the bin's lid clamp.The cyclone sucks the lid down anyway. I use the heavy plastic bags so I don't have to carry the bin out to empty.Bags are too expensive to waste,be careful to not tear them and re use.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-04-2009 at 3:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I made 6" pipe connections,followed by 6" clear wire hoses to the big machines-saw,planer,jointer. 4" to all else. Bare copper wires ground all hoses thoroughly. Be careful. Collectors are dangerous if static sets them on fire,they are like a jet engine.
    George, I think its been generally accepted (maybe only around The Creek) that dust explosions in a hobbyist shop aren't very likely to happen. Hobbyists just don't create enough for it to be an issue. It is also well accepted that trying to ground PVC is futile at best.

Will one get shocks from PVC ducting? Yes, absolutely, but it wears away over time and isn't strong enough nor is there enough dust to cause a hazard in most of our shops/garages....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Calkins View Post
    Well to follow-up on a post I made in this thread, I also ordered from Onieda. I went with the v-3000 product as according to them it would work well for my application and was 5DB less noisey than the dust gorilla version -- newer design I was told. I am mounting it outside, will protect it with a small "roof" to block direct rainfall and therefore bought it without any filter -- I will exhaust thru a bird screen of some sort directly into the outside air. While it is on the way I am deciding what to do about the ducting -- pretty simple, about a 20' run with three drops. I will let Onieda design and quotes something and compare to what I can do with some PVC and some Onieda parts ---- great company to work with so far.

Ed (in Northern Calif)
    Sounds good, Ed. You may wish to update your profile with your town, city. I always like to hear about fellow CA'ers.

I wish I had the option to mount outside but I'm not sure my neighbor would appreciate it at all!

Personally, I think I'd build more than just a roof for this...more like a small shed/outhouse with walls is what I think I would do. Might as well keep as much stuff off of it as possible is might thought process.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.