Thread: Hollow chisel morticer

Hollow chisel morticer

Hello everybody, new comer to forum, looks good so far! anyway I have a question, wanted to see what you all think. We have a hollow chisel morticer by Grizzly in our shop here at Indiana University in South Bend. When running with no load, it chirps or skreech quite loudly, doesn't seem to matter which chisel set I use, when cutting all that stops, and it works pretty well. I was thinking about spraying some sillicone lube between the bit and the chisel to stop the noise. Good idea or not? If the noise isn't hurting anything I'll forget it.
    Cool Place, this Sawmill Creek.

No silicone!

Paul,

Don't use silicone because if it gets on the wood, some finishes won't adhere to it and you will end up with fish eyes in the finish.
    The chirping is most likely the bit rubbing the chisel. This might be alleviated by cleaning the bit and the chisel or adjustment. It may also be that the chisel socket and the chuck are not in alignment. If this is the case, might not be much that can be done.

Bob

A little PAM spray sometimes works well.

Hi Paul

Do you know about leaving a bit of a gap between the bit and the chisel? I had the same thing when I first used a hollow chisel mortising attachment. One approach is to put a nickel or dime between the chisel shoulder and socket of the mortiser and tighten the chisel. Install the bit snug against the chisel then remove the coin, loosen the chisel and move it up snug against the socket of the mortiser. I hope you can understand this... easier to do than to explain.

Curt

You MIght

find that there's not much you can do to eliminate the noise permanently.

I have the Delta and experience this almost all the time. Its aggravating because you think you've done something wrong in the set up .... called Delta Tech Support and they told me that its more likely that you'll have the noise than not. Since boring out motises is kinda bland work anyway, I just turn the DiscMan up a notch and let ole Alan Jackson drown it out.

Thanks!

All righty, it looks like I'll leave it as is and live with it, and NO on the sillicone. Yes I have a gap (about 1/8") between the bit and the chisel. I have a Delta at the home shop as well and it makes very little noise, unlike the Grizzly.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Paul Geer; 03-15-2003 at 11:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Bees wax

If you want a lubricant that will help, rub a block of beeswax against the bit while it is running. The wax won't stain your wood. Check to make sure your bit is not bent.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I find that DriCote lubricant helps. You spray the bit and chisel before use and if it starts squealing real bad I hit it again while it's spinnin. DriCote is made for metal cutting surfaces and wont harm your wood.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Lee and Bill,

The beeswax sounds ok I'll give it try, we have alot on hand for wooden drawer slides or guides, as far I can tell the bits are straight, and if the beeswax doesn't do then I'll try the DriCote, DriCote is used on cutting edge tools like router bits according to the link, I've never used it, might give it try for advertised use.

Thanks