Thread: Setting up a DC system

Setting up a DC system

My trusty Craftsman Shop Vac is trying to die after about 20 years and I am concidering a "real" dust Collection System. I am looking at the Delta 50-760 and plan to but a 20gal trash can in the space before the motor unit.

Any body have any comments on the unit? How long a run would this unit support with 5 or 4 inch PVC before going to a 4 inch flexable pipeto the machines? I would only us it on one machine at a time.

Comments/ Complaints???

Thanks...Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard A. Rivera, M.D. View Post
    My trusty Craftsman Shop Vac is trying to die after about 20 years and I am concidering a "real" dust Collection System. I am looking at the Delta 50-760 and plan to but a 20gal trash can in the space before the motor unit.

Any body have any comments on the unit? How long a run would this unit support with 5 or 4 inch PVC before going to a 4 inch flexable pipeto the machines? I would only us it on one machine at a time.

Comments/ Complaints???

Thanks...Richard.
    Of the sub-2 hp units it's one of the best and has always tested well against it's comparables.
    You will find a ton of info here on this site and many other with a bit of searching.
    Bill Pentz's site is a great source outlining the basic with some fundamental recommendations http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyc...Conversion.cfm.
    Many of us have swapped out the filter bag for a pleated filter such as the Wynn Environmental http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm which offers more surface area and finer filtering resulting in somewhat higher air flows.
    In addition, have a look at Phil Thien's baffle mod to intercept and trap more dust before it clogs the filter http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.php?topic=50.0.
    On the pipe issue, conventional design suggests 10' of 4" flex hose is the limit but many here have easily increased that to 15' or more by going to 5" diameter (or some larger) right to the machine where possible. Some have moded the machine ports from the standard 4" to 5", often using heavy duty HVAC metal fittings. At any rate, by pushing the taper point out, less resistance is created by the pipe ribs so air flow and velocity is greater than having the taper closer to the dc in most systems. If your layout was conducive to having some solid, rigid pipe, that would create even better airflow than the equivalent length of ribbed flex hose.

Richard, do a "google" for Phil Thein. About half way down page is a link to my design over at NC Woodworker. Post is titled "Another Vote for Phil Thein's Baffle. Right below it on google is also a post showing results of using Phil's baffle

Dust Collection

I have one of the above. I run it with grounded flexable 4" lines. It is 6' from my table saw and it works good, not great. I have it connected to every machine with shut off gates so it is only drawing from one pipe. It does not work like I thought it would, or I should say like I was in hopes it would. It works the best on the planer because the suction pipe is horizontial and it is only a 10' run. When I move my shop I will keep this dust collector but for only one machine and it won't be a long run and no ups and downs in the run either. Every other machine will be connected to a cyclone system that is in a room by its self. They make all kinds of sizes that will fit in any size shop. Make sure your pipes are grounded!!