Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended weekend doings - bittersweet edition.

Extended weekend doings - bittersweet edition.

Hello,
    First, let me say this is a difficult post.

I've debated posting it for the last two weeks because I know how awkward something like this can be & I don't want to burden anyone with my problems.

The good news:
    My son, whose deployed in the Sinai is coming home tomorrow on a 2 week leave.
    Today, I get to see my nearly fifteen year old grand daughter for the first time.

The bad news:
    My son is coming home on an emergency family leave.
    The grand daughter I've never met is my daughter's daughter. My daughter and I had a falling out over 22 years ago, and spoke for the first time two weeks ago.
    What brought us back together is my daughter's health.

She's suffered a complete liver failure and the outlook is extremely grim.
    W/out a transplant, her condition is terminal.
    The wait for a transplant is six months.
    The doctors have given her between one and 12 months.
    It doesn't look good.

I've accepted the fact that I'm on the verge of joining what has to be the most terrible group of people that exists - parents that outlive their children.
    Thank you in advance for helping me though such a difficult time.
    You all have become a special group to me in the last 2 years and I can't begin to say how much I've enjoyed the company.

God bless each and every one of you, and please, hug your kids.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Rich,

My sincere sympathy.

My prayers go out to your daughter, you and your entire family.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Rich

Very sorry to hear of the circumstances! Thoughts and prayers have been sent your way!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Rich,

Sometimes sharing a burden lightens the load, but by a miniscule amount in this case I'm sure. Don't give up hope yet. I'm glad that you finally get to meet your granddaughter, and be there for her and your daughter during this most difficult time. My thoughts are with you.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I'm glad you are able to get back together with family. Sorry about the circumstances it is taking to facilitate that reunion. But I believe it must be for a reason.
    Prayers going up and out for a donor that is a perfect match. Spend the time waiting for that to bridge the differences that caused the falling out, so that afterwards, the bond will be stronger. Hang in there! We're here to support you no matter what happens. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Rich,
    I wish you the best possible thoughts during this difficult time.
    God bless you and yours.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Rich-

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter's illness. I can't even imagine the pain this must cause you. Please do not give up hope. My sister was in a similar situation about 6 years ago and wasn't expected to make it until a donor was found. She had a spontaneous remission and recovery that astounded everyone - even the medical staff at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. Nobody knows the future and hope never hurts.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

Rich,
    I'm so sorry to hear this news. Rest assured your family will be in our prayers.

Rich, I'm very sad to hear about your daughter's condition and do hope that the medical community can help her keep going while she waits for that transplant. Thanks for sharing...the community can be a very important support during times like these.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rich, my prayers are with you and your family. Through all this don't forget to take care of yourself as well.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Rich,

Thanks for sharing and helping to lighten your load a tiny bit. You can count on the Peacock's praying for your daughter and your entire family.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Prayer said for your family. Keep us posted--we do care.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Rich, prayers and thoughts sent your way. And I'd agree with the thought of hope, sometimes things do turn around.

I'm an organ donar; I became one the minute I turned 18, because my brother wouldn't be able to see today - without corneal transplants - and someone, some gracious person - making that decision years ago. He's an art professor, so that's kinda important to him to be able to see.

So yes, I think we're in this world to help each other out and my most sincere thoughts go out to you, your daughter, and grand daughter for peace and understanding.

Sincerely,

Jude

Rich, there is nothing anyone can say to you at a time like this other than you and your family will be in our prayers.
    Lori K

Rich,
    I have been active duty for almost 20 years now and I have been placed on emergency leave from deployment twice. Each time (aside from the sadness of the losses) they have been great. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to get the family together and see/ get to know folks you would not have otherwise.

Each time this happened the biggest thing that stayed in my memories were those family moments rather than the losses. The mourning of a lost one fades over time and pales in comparison to the happy moments.

I would bet a year from now you will remember reading this although during the actual time advice seems to be of little help... just wait.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"