Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GRR-Ripper

GRR-Ripper

I did a search here on the "GRR-Ripper" to get some feedback on it, seems like about 50% love it and 50% did not really use it much. I had a close call on a kick back recently which got my attention and started my interest in a safer way to push thin strips through my TS.

Anyone here want to sell me a used set of these "GRR-Rippers that your not using?

I'd also appreciate advise / opinions regarding this issue.

Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    I did a search here on the "GRR-Ripper" to get some feedback on it, seems like about 50% love it and 50% did not really use it much. I had a close call on a kick back recently which got my attention and started my interest in a safer way to push thin strips through my TS.

Anyone here want to sell me a used set of these "GRR-Rippers that your not using?

I'd also appreciate advise / opinions regarding this issue.

Thanks,
    Tim
    I guess I am part of the half that likes the Grripper. I particularly like how adjustable it is. I use it with the table saw, but mostly on the router table.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Thanks for the feedback Doc .... just noticed Woodcraft has the deluxe version on sale for $59.99 ,not to bad I suppose.

Tim

I bought some used off of fellow creekers, and I really like mine. But there is a thread floating around here about someone who made his own. You might want to check out that possibility too.

Hi Jacob .... you are correct about the home made versions, I've reviewed the post and they look good and simple enough to make. I might go that route.

I seem to spend as much time making jigs as using them ....

Thanks for the reply,

Tim

6. I bought a pair of the super duper versions at a woodworking show a few years back. They're the tool of choice for me at the jointer; I only find them useful at the tablesaw occasionally. Some of this is because I really don't feel comfortable running my hand over a spinning blade, regardless of how much plastic is in it, so I have other ways of ripping thin stock--mostly shop-made push sticks/boards.

But yeah, I like them a lot on the jointer. The ones I own have a little "nub" which you can rotate so that it "hooks" over the back of a board, which is useful for wide or heavy boards that are difficult to get started.

I am in the 50% that don't like them.

I had one and sold it.

One thing and this just me, but I like to see the blade at all times when it is coming though the top of the board.
    The other thing is to me it was a real PITA to have to adjust it for just about every cut, then there is this plate to put on and that plate to move and just on and on so I sold it.

GRR-Ripper

Have two; use for table saw and router table; love 'em!

Great info ... I know what you mean about having my hand over the blade even when all safety measures are in place.

Thanks for sharing your opinions,

Tim

I'm in the 50% that loves them. I use it all the time with the table saw and feel as if it has saved me a few times, but I guess I'll never know.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

Did you have your splitter installed?

I love my Grippers.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    Another Grr-Ripper lover. I have two.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

13. One of the things I don't like about them is that over blade dust collection is pretty much impossible. One of the reasons I like my Grip-Tites.

I used my new gripper on my last project. I'm not sold on it yet. I think it feels a little awkward still. I haven't used it on anything but the table saw yet either.

I don't like not seeing the blade or the material against the fence while the gripper passes through. The adjusting on each change of a cut is annoying also.

I need to buy the DVD to see what I'm missing some of it's verstility.

These do take some getting used to and may not be for every one but I will make a comment or two.

1) If you adjust the blade to ride in the channel with one clear gullet exposed on the blade it is next to imposable to cut your hand / fingers even if you slip. Once exception may be cutting very thick stock which I would not do with this anyway IMO.

2) This is just me, but when I cut I do not watch the blade, I watch the stock between the blade and the fence and make sure it stays tight to the fence so my comfort level with the grrripper was easy to achieve. Also I bought one and tried it once and put it into a drawer until I could afford 2. Using the leap fro feeding technique is best with 2.

They were pricey but no comparison to a missing digit.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"