Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: GRR-Ripper

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Reitz View Post
    I’m 61 and learned how to use my Dad’s table saw when I was about 10. My Dad was a Carpenter/Cabinetmaker. He never used a guard because he said you have to see the blade. 2 days ago I had kickback for the first time. Fortunately I was wearing a leather shop apron. I twisted as it hit me and the apron helped it “slide” off me instead of puncture. It felt like I got hit by a ¾ 8”x12” going 100mph. For the past two days I’ve been looking at how to best prevent kickback. It could’ve/should’ve taken at least two digits. Maybe three. I’m looking at the Grr-ripper. Any other suggestions?
    Do you use a splitter or riving knife on your saw? I found that the riving knife on my saw is very good at preventing a kickback.

Mike

[Oops, it looks like a lot of other people said the same thing.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-29-2020 at 6:19 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The riving knife is your best bet for preventing kickback as most everyone says.
    As for the Grrippers, I can't say enough about them. Yes my saw has a riving knife. The Grippers give you distance from the blade, and a barrier. You also can use it on the router table. They certainly saved my fingers from a kickback using a raised panel bit. 3" diameter and spinning really fast. Others may disagree, but I love mine. Buy 2 you have 2 hands. They excel when you're making small cuts in small pieces of wood on the table saw. Not useful when you're doing production work with large long pieces. In fact, if that's what I were doing all the time I would hate them too.

I've got a gripper. Guess I'm one of the few people who are nuetral about it. It's a tool, has some downsides, like the adjustments, some good sides, like protection and smaller rips.

One thing I don't hear mentioned much about them, price. As somebody pretty frugal I consider it at $20 tool at best, at a $60 price tag. Even that might be a bit generous, considering you can get an entire set of pushblocks from Amazon for $20.

I don't think I'd buy another one, since I can make my own push blocks quick and cheap from scrap. I will not be tossing or donating my current one.

Blog Entries
    0D78F073-ECC3-4939-8DCE-71473A1FD194.jpg
    I decided to buy one today. I always have trouble ripping down pieces under about 3”. I use the blade guard, riving knife and all the safety features on my saw. I don’t like to remove the blade guard but I end up removing it for these smaller pieces. It happens often too.
    I also have the JessEm stock guides and am really happy with them. But I can’t use them for smaller width cuts either.
    This does appear to be a good option. I’ll give it a try this evening.

I have two Gripperrrs and use the all the time. I like the safety issues and really like the ergonomics. I have arthritis in my hands and wrists and it is much easier to use them.

Blog Entries
    I'm quite happy with my purchase today. I gave it a try and it really works well. Actually, better than expected.