Thread: Need a price from a older grizzly catalog

Need a price from a older grizzly catalog

I have a neighbor who wants to buy my 16 inch grizzly bandsaw. The problem is I don't know what to tell him as far as a price as they are no longer in the catalog. I was wondering if anyone had a older say 1998-2002 Grizzly catalog with with the new price on the saw. This would at least give me something to start from, or I would listen to anyones opinion on a fair used price as well.

Thanks Loren

What Model #?

Sorry about that. Model G1073 16 inch 1 1/2 hp

Thanks Loren

In 1999, the G1073 listed for $595.

I never throw much away! The Grizz '99 catalog was still out in the shop!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Thanks everyone, I thought they were about $600 but I wasn't sure. I also thought I had some old Grizzly catalogs too, but they must of went in the stove on a cold day. Any ideas as to a fair used price?

Thanks Loren

I think the 1073 was a cast iron bandsaw. And it was very well reviewed. At $600 in 2009 dollars, it would be a bargain, I think.

So the rule of thumb is used tools go for about 1/2 of new. But taking $300 would (IMHO) be too low.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 01-22-2009 at 9:00 AM.

I think about $300 is fair, although you'd have to adjust that for your area.

Regards, Rod.

I have a G1073 bought new in 2000. It is a good saw that was well-priced at that time. Mine says it's 2hp. Remember there is/was considerable shipping cost also. The only downside for me is that a riser cannot be added to increase the resaw capability. Even so, I wouldn't part with mine for $300. John

Consider the specs and what a comparable model would cost ... 16" bandsaw? that's already unique right there in the throat depth. What kind of resaw capacity does it have? what size motor? All that factored in with condition and it's age should give you an idea of a good price to ask ... What's a 16" bandsaw with similar resaw and motor capacity selling for these days?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

A new 17 inch bandsaw is around 1000 right now (if memory serves, plus/minus delivery). I would say a fair price would be 4-500. Then again, if it has only seen hobby use and is in good shape, it could be worth a bit more, or a bit less in your area.

For $300, your neighbor would have a serious gloat. But then again, it may be worth it to you to get it out of your shop and know that the neighbor may be indebted to you a bit.

I think fair pricing of used equipment is generally 40-60% of what a similar model would cost me new to my house. Below 40% of new comparable pricing turns into gloat territory - and a tool I might buy and resell at a later time.

The economy is tight right now, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Then again, I am in the process of selling a 15 inch planer, and have a lot of local interest at half the cost of a comparable new unit, and this one is a well maintained and little used 10 year old model. If viewed against it's new cost, maybe not a steal, but at current pricing, a pretty good deal to move quickly. By Sunday I don't expect to have that planer in my shop - and I need the space.

Just my .02.