Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chisel recommendations

Chisel recommendations

Inspired by the latest FWW, I decided to cut dovetails by hand on my latest project. Though they turned out OK for a first attempt, a couple of things about the chisels I have been using became quite clear:

1. I need to get them sharper
    2. My "craftsman" chisels are a bit thick to be doing joinery (not wide, too thick)

I can spend about 80-100 bucks on new chisels next month. For just focusing on dovetails, would I be better off with a few nice chisels (like 1/8, 1/4, 1/2) or should I be looking to get a more complete set?

Also, are there brands I should stay away from, or ones that you would recommend? I have seen an earlier post concerning Chisel recommendations, but was wondering if I could pull out any new thoughts.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,
    There are a lot of good choices for chisels out there, but with the recent addition of Lie-Nielsen chisels to the market, I would highly recommend saving your pennies and getting a set of them! If the $250 is beyond your budget, I would also recomend a set of Pfeil (swiss made) chisels which you can get at woodcraft for about $120. What ever you do, don't go cheap. Chisels are arguably among the most important tools you can have. Many people like the Marples Blue Handle chisels which are absolutely fine, but if you can afford to spend the extra $$, it will be an investment that you will be happy with.
    Good luck,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Taylor
    Inspired by the latest FWW, I decided to cut dovetails by hand on my latest project. Though they turned out OK for a first attempt, a couple of things about the chisels I have been using became quite clear:

1. I need to get them sharper
    2. My "craftsman" chisels are a bit thick to be doing joinery (not wide, too thick)

I can spend about 80-100 bucks on new chisels next month. For just focusing on dovetails, would I be better off with a few nice chisels (like 1/8, 1/4, 1/2) or should I be looking to get a more complete set?

Also, are there brands I should stay away from, or ones that you would recommend? I have seen an earlier post concerning Chisel recommendations, but was wondering if I could pull out any new thoughts.

Thanks,

Jim
    You should be able to get an excellent set of 4-6 bench chisels in that price range. Tools For Woodworking has this set of Two Cherries, which IMHO is as good as you can get. If you want to go on the cheap, you can get a set of Marples blue chips (they maybe labeled Irwin by now) at Lowes for $20, which work fine for me.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...egory_Code=CTC

Well, I have Two Cherries, and I have been happy with them so far. Having said that, I have a set of LN's that I have not tested yet, as I have been in school lately. This month's Popular Woodworking said that the LN's were "the best in North America", or some such.

I am trying to decide if I will keep my TC as backups, or sell them. Right now LN does not make all the sizes I have in TC, but they are supposed to be working on them. Maybe when I get the new sizes, I will decide about the TC.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Any good bench chisel will do. For dovetails you really don't need to many sizes, two will do. But for cleanup and fine triming work I like to use japanese dovetail paring chisels; they really get into the corners nicely. A couple of good sources for chisels are http://www.japanesetools.com/ and http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/ . Give Harrelson Stanley at Japanese Tools and Joel at Tools for Working Wood a call and ask them for specific recommendations. They will both be able to set you up with some great chisels at a price that you can probably afford. Although it's nice to have every size bench chisel made, it's definately not needed. If I was on a tight budget I would rather have a few high quality chisels appropriate to the task (dovetails) than a bunch of chisels not really suited to the task.

Jim:

I have a set of 6 Hirsch's that I picked up from Lee Valley. They are awesome and hold an edge. When I was researching chisels I found that the Hirsch's and Two Cherry's come from the same factory in Germany. The only difference is the shape of the handles.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...currency=2&SID=

HTH
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I could almost convince myself to go for the LN's, but a 6-8 week shipping delay would be painful. I am thinking that the tool roll is worth 40 bucks, and that eases the cost overhead.

In looking things over, I am sort of weighing between the TC's (set of 4 @ $90) and some that were not mentioned, Ashley Iles (set of 6 @ $155)

The TC's "mirror" finish at no perceptable price increase would save me lapping time.

The Ashley Iles look like they have a bit tinner blade, and it also looks like the blade is a more "constant" size all the way up to the handle. I am thinking that both of these are advantages in getting in close and in having a consistant tool over its sharpening life.

Anyone have comment regarding handle type, I have seen:

Boxwood
    Bubinga
    Rosewood

One more question, is the 1/8 inch blade worthwhile? My fisrt thought was that it would be nice to get in so close... then I wondered if the cutting blade ends up being too small for value (ends up being more like an awl). Some sets have the small blade some don't, most I could purchase it separately... not sure what to think.

Thanks,

Jim

Ashley Iles are great ...I have Them and Hirsch and several others. The thin ones are the best for small dovetails. Handel wood is a personal choice.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I haven't tried the new LN's yet. Can't seem to get Tom L-N to send me a set for testing purposes. This is not surprising.

My favorites are older chisels, and they vary in quality, even within the same line. I have a 1/2" Stanley 750 that is some of the best steel out there. But, I have a 3/8" Stanley 750 that has very poor steel. Go figure.

As to the 1/8" chisel, they are very tough to find on a used basis, and tend to bring higher prices. But, if yu need a 1/8"er, then that is what you need and little else will work. They are not like awls at all.
    Alan

The mirror finish on the TC is by no means a reflection of a prepared surface. They are laquered. I spent about an hour removing the laquer finish from my two cherries and flattening the backs. But I have about a dozen of them, so I don't think that's too bad.
    As to the durability, I think they're great. I've used a few Japanese Chisels, Blue chips, Sorby's (I still have a complete set of Sorby heavy mortising chisels), and Pfiels. Nothing compares to the Two cherries. But I've not tried the LN's. I purchased all of my two cherries from Dieter when the Euro was good. Probably don't have more than $250 total with shipping into all 12 of them. For corners of half blinds, I angled some pfiel chisels. They work, but not well. Hope this helps.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

I just received my set of LN chisels yesterday. My lovely wife bought them for my birthday present ( told me to order them). The young lady at LN told me 6-8 weeks backup also. However, they arrived just over 3 weeks later ( a pleasant surprise), as I also ordered a couple of planes from Shepherd Plane I thought it was them. Now if they would just get here.(Multiple stealth gloat)..
    Jeff Bishop

I wrote a review on the Hirsch firmer set that might interest you.
    http://www.just4fun.org/woodworking/..._firmer_chisel

Thanks for the post Matt, you hit a point that I definately did not consider... round handles roll.

I feel the Ashely Iles set calling me from "the best things" site. $155 for a set of 6 which includes the 1/8 inch chisel. I think that I will find more used for the small tool (in a group of 6) rather than an additional larger version. These also have an octgonal handle.

I very much appreciate all of the feedback I have received! I'll be sure to post my thoughts once I have the opportunity to use the tools for a while.

Jim,

No matter what chisel you choose, or if you decide to stay the course with your existing set, you'll need to learn to sharpen! Personally, I like rummaging through flea markets and antique stores for vintage tools. I have found numerous Witherby's, Swan's, Stanley Everlasting and 750's, and a few oddballs such as Riverside, etc. and have never paid more than $6 to $8.00 per! Most of these are superb in edge holding ability, however, a few could be better, but on the whole, I got a wide variety of chisels and types for less than half of what the new L-N would cost.

Tony Z.

Hi Tony,

I would love to build up a collection of used tools, it is just a matter of taking the time to do it for me... I think that this is definately the best bang-for-the-buck method. The problem for me would be:

1. I need to learn to know what I am looking at
    2. I need to find the time to look
    3. I would end up slowing down the things that I want to do by looking

Regarding sharpening... at the end of next month, I should be able to pick up a Tormek system for about $175 out of pocket dollars. (I guess this is a, almost, hoping-to-buy, tool gloat)

==========
    Before everybody jumps on me over this... it is because I use a Amazon CC for everything, and I get cash back on purchases. LOML has generously indicated that I can use all the "cash back" we have built up to buy a Tormek next month.
    ===========

Anyways... I have been using the "scary sharp" method, and have come to realize that I would rather be cutting wood than pushing a bit of metal around a block of marble (just my own preference, I'm not too good at the pushing. patient. kind of thing).