Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curly Cherry Hall Table W/Pics *Installed*

John, thanks. Keep up the good work you're doing. Your hand cut dovetails are looking really good. It takes me a lot longer than it used to with the Leigh D4, but this is a wee bit more satisfying... and better looking.

Anyway, all the drawers sides are hard maple. Someone else commented on this so it must be the light - it was kind of a low orangish sun. Regardless, it's maple.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra View Post
    Jim: You’re hilarious! Don’t let my elders know about my three other “callings”
    Yea, they may place orders and you'll never get the time to make stuff for your own house again.... (If they are smart, that is...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jason, I love that table

your skill at Hand Cut Dove Tails is remarkable. I only wish !!

I would have loved to have seen this table made with more of an ASIAN motif to it. Try that for your next one !!

Great Job, love that project.
    MARK

Jason - That is nice!

It is a beautiful practical design --- executed wonderfully.

I really like it!

Jason -

You've quickly mastered the hand cut DT's....that's for sure! It's a beautiful table. You are full of amazing talent.

Who would argue with me if I labeled Jason as : 'One of the best Shaker furniture Makers on the planet'? I really don't need to be 'Shaker specific', you're just one of the best period!!!

Question: The single large thru DT on the back of drawers is very interesting. Is that a Shaker tradition? Your own idea?

Again - just fabulous work and second to none!

Nice body of work on your website. Excellent job on the set table. I like to think Christ is found in the details myself. I know that goes against worldly thinking , so be it! Can I get a Amen?

Any more (I did see a few in that one album) photos of your shop ? Or do you call it a studio?

Have you had any formal training in woodworking? North Bennett street/ College of the Redwoods(although your work does not look to be 'Krenovian' in style) , etc etc. Or are you pretty much self taught?

Again, nice work Pastor!

IHS Paul

Jason,

That is an absolutely gorgeous piece of furniture. I love everything about it.

BTW, you've got some huge pine cones in your neck of the woods!

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall View Post
    Jason -

You've quickly mastered the hand cut DT's....that's for sure! It's a beautiful table. You are full of amazing talent.

Who would argue with me if I labeled Jason as : 'One of the best Shaker furniture Makers on the planet'? I really don't need to be 'Shaker specific', you're just one of the best period!!!

Question: The single large thru DT on the back of drawers is very interesting. Is that a Shaker tradition? Your own idea?

Again - just fabulous work and second to none!
    I agree! Jason is terrific!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark Valsi: Asian? Do you have any accent ideas in mind? I’m not really sure what an Asian influence would look like and I’d love it if you could point me in the right direction for ideas. Thanks! I guess my world is a bit small.

Roy: You’re hilarious! I only build Shaker furniture because otherwise I might have to buy a bandsaw to make funny curvy things. I’m Dutch, that’s all. Kidding… I have a bandsaw. Regarding the single dovetail in the back, I don’t recall if I saw that somewhere or not. I’m sure I did. No originality here. But really, I did it from the perspective of time. Four cuts, some paring and you’re in business. Thanks again for the kind words. You encouraged me into getting into this hand cut stuff! Thanks!

Paul: You got yourself an “Amen!” Studio? That’s funny. My shop is a two stall garage, complete with a chest freezer, a hot water heater, and a year's supply of Diet Pepsi! I think I’d have to dress differently and start “styling” my hair before I could call it a studio. Most of my tools are hobbyist level and I don’t even have a bench. Like many of us here, I apprenticed with Norm and made good use of my local library. That’s about it. Pic of my “garage” below.

Keith: Yea, pretty sweet eh? The pine cones come from a place where friends of ours have a home - Shaver Lake, California. We go up there quite a bit and they’re everywhere. We think they make good home accents… after you get rid of the sap that is.

Mark: Thanks! Too kind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jason,
    As always the piece is great in every way. From design to execution.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I like the use of the "bad board" in the stretcher. I have come to that same practice over the years. Seems like the best wood is always right next to a defect, or as I like to put it, a character enhancement. Kind of Krenov with a twist, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra View Post

Paul: You got yourself an “Amen!” Studio? That’s funny. My shop is a two stall garage, complete with a chest freezer, a hot water heater, and a year's supply of Diet Pepsi! I think I’d have to dress differently and start “styling” my hair before I could call it a studio. Most of my tools are hobbyist level and I don’t even have a bench. Like many of us here, I apprenticed with Norm and made good use of my local library. That’s about it. Pic of my “garage” below.

Ya the studio thing is sort of funny Some really get away with that line . Funny storey one of my step granddaughters Dad called my shop a shed, Britteny corrected him mildly by say some thing to the effect of " Thats Pip's studio NOT a shed!" Gotta love that kid

So another Norm-ite, he's done more for you hobby guys , (maybe even so of us trades guys as well) , and tool sales than probably any one person in modern times.

You've been a good self paced W/Wing student thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Nice body of work on your website. Excellent job on the set table. I like to think Christ is found in the details myself. I know that goes against worldly thinking , so be it! Can I get a Amen?

Any more (I did see a few in that one album) photos of your shop ? Or do you call it a studio?

Have you had any formal training in woodworking? North Bennett street/ College of the Redwoods(although your work does not look to be 'Krenovian' in style) , etc etc. Or are you pretty much self taught?

Again, nice work Pastor!

IHS Paul
    I fully agree Paul.

When Paul mentioned Jason's website I took a look. His portfolio of work is well documented and it's fantastic. For those who like this table he has pictures of him building the piece in detail. When I have time I'm going to have to go back and look at everything more closely. It's a fantastic site.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Jason have to read "The Shaker Legacy"

I think you'd enjoy it if you haven't read it.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Shaker-Legacy-.../dp/1561582182

Paul, thanks for the recommendation. I actually got a signed copy from Mr. Becksvoort himself. You're right. Makes for a good read and is a great resource.