Thread: Rocking Horses - Pic Heavy

Rocking Horses - Pic Heavy

I built these rocking horses for my sons. They were built out of some Cherry and Poplar I had lying around. The Poplar was dyed with Transfast Brown Mahagony. I applied on coat of a 1:2 mixtures of BLO/MS and finished with 4 coats of Waterlox.

I gave them to the boys this morning. I loaded some pics of the unfiished, finished, and proud owners taking their first ride.

Great

Great wood project and execution. I do think you need to get somebody with some paint skills to paint happy faces on those horses.

Gitty-up! Looks like the owners like them too!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Daniel -

The boys are loving those horses! You did a nice job. I see that the saddles are on in the second (finished) picture. Any fights yet over which horse belongs to which boy?

Well done!
    Ted

No fights that I know of yet. I will know when I get home. I did tell the wife the other day I should have done an inlay of both boys first initial on the back leg of the horse to look like it was branded. That way they would know which horse was theirs.

I let them choose the horses this morning. I had them layed out by the fireplace and which ever one got on the horse first then it was theirs. We will see how that goes.

Very nice work Daniel! The boys look happy - can't ask for anything more than that!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great Daniel.. and I agree with Gary about getting the face paint or doing some faces with a scroll-saw if ya have one.

Sarge..

Nice work Daniel!!

A thought, you might want to put some rubber strips on the bottom of the rockers to keep the horsey's in place. I can see fireplace destruction in the not to distant future. Hopefully not.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Looks like you have very satisfied customers, Daniel!! Nice job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sweet! I'm glad you had enough lumber laying around for two because it looks like they both really enjoy them. Nice job all the way around.