Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawer Lock Bit Setup

Drawer Lock Bit Setup

I have just started making some drawers and boxes. I'm playing with all the methods (box joint, dovetail, drawer lock, miter and lock miter, etc.)

Lately I have been working with this drawer lock bit:

r01840v7.jpg

I didn't find an insturction page for the bit on the Bosch website, but I found one at Rockler for a smaller diameter bit of the same design. (there are two 'drawer lock joint' bit designs on the market)

http://www.rockler.com/tech/53810.pdf

I understand to set the fence to get the reveal for the drawer front lip, But I am having some issues with setting the bit height. Is it my imagination or is there only one bit height for this bit that gets a tight fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I have just started making some drawers and boxes. I'm playing with all the methods (box joint, dovetail, drawer lock, miter and lock miter, etc.)

Lately I have been working with this drawer lock bit:

r01840v7.jpg

I didn't find an insturction page for the bit on the Bosch website, but I found one at Rockler for a smaller diameter bit of the same design. (there are two 'drawer lock joint' bit designs on the market)

http://www.rockler.com/tech/53810.pdf

I understand to set the fence to get the reveal for the drawer front lip, But I am having some issues with setting the bit height. Is it my imagination or is there only one bit height for this bit that gets a tight fit?
    This should help......

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/cmtdrw1.htm

I would also say bookmark his site, it is great and there is so much information there. John Lucas is a member of the Creek and gives great feedback on post.

Based on my trial and error work at the house this weekend and that site, I'll still say there is only one height at which to setup the bit and the actual stock thickness has nothing to do with the bit height.

MLCS has some videos and instruction sheets.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ck_bits_anchor

I use the same drawer lock bit on both 1/2" and 3/4" stock. The setup is different, but it is the same bit. The photo of your Bosch bit looks a whole lot like the profile on my Woodline and Whiteside bits. John's setup instructions at woodshopdemos.com worked for me. I have also read the instructions at MLCS and Woodline. They are all basically the same.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 01-19-2009 at 10:10 AM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Unfortunately, the MLCS instructions focus too heavily on the other drawer lock joint bit.

Dave, when you say the setup is different, what is different? I believe the fence setting is different, but I think the bit height would be the same. Is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Dave, when you say the setup is different, what is different? I believe the fence setting is different, but I think the bit height would be the same. Is it not?
    Anthony - Yes, you are correct that the bit height is the same for both setups. I did the two setups for 1/2" and 3/4" stock at two different times, and made templates. I looked at the templates, and the bit height is the same. I never paid much attention to the setup once the templates were made - I just use the templates to set the bit height and fence, and fine-tune from there.

I have one tip that I learned from using the bit. If you are making drawers using baltic birch plywood, you will get a clean cut on the sides if you make a scoring cut on the table saw before you run the sides through the router table. The top of the bit tends to tear plywood, and the scoring cut eliminates the tear-out.

I don't know what you mean by "two 'drawer lock joint' bit designs" and "the other drawer lock joint bit". I have drawer lock bits from two different sources - Woodline and Whiteside. Other that a difference in diameter, the profile is similar to your photo. There is a lock (or locking) miter bit also available, but that is not typically referred to as a drawer lock bit.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 01-19-2009 at 12:52 PM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

This is why my RT is set up for minute adjustment, so fitting can be very carefully dialed in.
    Use MDF for your trial stock to make your set up. MDF is a consistent dimensional medium to get stuff dialed in.
    Once you do get your bit set-up dialed in, keep a piece for the next time you need to use it.
    Make your own, or buy them. Here's the idea.

It turns out that there are two bit designs both called "drawer lock". Though this isn't a popular topic in the forums, it has caused confusion more than once. One looks like a reversible glue joint and, well, the other doesn't.

I snagged this from the MLCS website.
    drawrlck.jpg

Typically the design on the right has a larger diameter than the one on the left. I know that Rockler sells both a large and small diameter bit for the style on the right.

I'm working on that. That what one of these drawers are for. But for this bit I need some verification that I wasn't imagining things about the setup.

Drawer Bit:

Anthony:

Shop Notes magazine also has a very good video on the set-up and use of this bit. Here is the link. http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/096/...er-joint-bits/

I use this bit for making production drawers and sliding trays. I have never had a failure with it.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

I guess that video says it all..."Because of the design of the bit, there's only one height that works for any stock thickness. All you need to change is the fence."

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Yes, but easier said than done.