Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stand alone router table vs. TS extension router table

Your responses seem to be on target with many others. It seems that floor space really dicates which way to go. All other issues can be dealt with.
    Thanks!

I have both, and only use the stand alone for second step work when I need it. The steel router extension on the tablesaw gives me a much larger, true surface, than the stand alone, and I can use a 36" sled on it and still have support for the long boards when cutting dadoes with the router. Also, my LS fence is mounted on phenolic which attaches to the table via two mag switches. I just put it against my beis, lock it down, and the get the beis out of the way. I can also flip the LS around when I want to use it on the saw side. I plan to put a dust box in soon. I'm real happy with the setup as I have more versatility than I've had before, but I'm not ready to get rid of the stand alone router table just yet!

I believe its WHAT YOU MAKE WITH IT, rather than WHAT IT'S MADE ON, that counts in woodworking. Many here obsess over just "the right" tool, rather than learning how to produce STUFF that will endure with what they have available!

This stand-alone router table was *state-of-the-art* wayy back in the '70s! Built-in chip collection, and *Green* before it's time, recycling that steel drum!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 01-20-2009 at 2:00 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    I believe its WHAT YOU MAKE WITH IT, rather than WHAT IT'S MADE ON, that counts in woodworking. Many here obsess over just "the right" tool, rather than learning how to produce STUFF that will endure with what they have available!

This stand-alone router table was *state-of-the-art* wayy back in the '70s! Built-in chip collection, and *Green* before it's time, recycling that steel drum!!
    Amen, you've hit the nail on the head! It's amazing how a person can make do with what they have.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post

And I'll bet the drum provided juuuust the right harmonics to create a truly remarkable racket!

I had to make room for a drum sander. So last spring I moved my router to my table saw wing. It is rarely in the way, and with the Woodpecker dust collector box the dust collection is great. I love the set up I have now.
    Here is a link to the old post
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=79000
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Sorry if I hit a nerve with you. Thanks for your input.

8. I like having a stand alone router table, this way all my routing equipment/tooling is in one spot.
    And you can build the table to suit your own needs, and customize it any way you like.
    Also I like to have a specialized router fence, with built in dust collection, split fence, safety guard ,etc. You have to put an auxillary fence on the TS if you need a split fence, then take it off when you need the TS again, just added steps I don't need.
    Plus.....router tables are fun to build and they look cool!

router table

Thanks for all these great and relative comments. It is great to have such a source of knowledge and people willing to share.
    I am going with the stand alone table and make it usable as an outfeed table for my TS. Later I may still make a TS extension.

Thanks again.

I have and use both.

My stand alone gets most of the activity except the pattern work. That is usually done at the tablesaw. My tablesaw happens to live enclosed in a 6' deep (infeed to outfeed) x 8' wide outfeed island so larger patterns are more easily accomodated.

Ed

My preference having used both would be to have a separate router table AND a setup i

I have both a table saw extension (MDF) and a free standing. If I need to cut a few dados deep from the front edge I use the extension and saw fence. Otherwise I almost exclusively use the free standing. That being said I may have to get rid of that free standing router table. My Shaper has been beating up on it lately, laughing at it and calling it names for not being as tuff. Darn Bullies. Some tools just can't get along.

mounting of MDF TS extension

Ron
    How did you attach the MDF top to your TS rails? Did you put recesses to accomodate the nuts from the bolts? Do you have leveling srews, etc.?
    Any pictures?

Thanks
    Don