Thread: Word of caution

Word of caution

I know a lot of us buy tools at Amazon, Harbor Frieght and other discount places in an effort to save money. Some of the manufactures will NOT honor any warrenty if purchased through some of these places.

My recommendation would be to check with the factory or their rep's prior to buying any tools.

Can you give us some examples? I've never heard of any issues with Amazon.

Bob

I've had no problems with JET tools after using Amazon (Tool Crib). Don't have any other makes of large tools, so not sure about them.

Bob. one Company that comes to mind is Dewalt. Bosch is starting to get particular as well. I asked one of the rep's for Dewalt why they are doing this. The reason he gave is this.

If you have a problem with a tool, you are supposed to return it to the place of business where you bought it. They in turn will send it out for repair. By taking it to a local dealer, you are asking them to do all the follow up with out any compensation what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bartley
    Bob. one Company that comes to mind is Dewalt. Bosch is starting to get particular as well. I asked one of the rep's for Dewalt why they are doing this. The reason he gave is this.

If you have a problem with a tool, you are supposed to return it to the place of business where you bought it. They in turn will send it out for repair. By taking it to a local dealer, you are asking them to do all the follow up with out any compensation what so ever.
    Right. So if you didn't buy a tool from a bricks-and-mortar dealer, you shouldn't expect him to take care of warrantee support. Most dealers want to see their own bill of sale before they'll do it anyhow. If you buy the tool online, you could return it to the online dealer (which might or might not work), or you can return it directly to the manufacturer yourself. All the big guys -- DeWalt, Bosch, Porter-Cable, Milwaukee, etc -- have service centers all around the country. You can walk the tool in if you're close, or mail it in if you're not. Check your manufacturer's web site, or the literature which came with your tool, for locations.

These service centers are also useful after your warrantee expires.

Amazon is convenient but the prices can be met at most brick and mortar stores. If someone chooses not to get close then you can decide. I like the idea of keeping the business local if I can. I also want a good price. I am lucky enough to have a local store called The Tool Nut who prices everything to meet or beat Amazon. He also has almost Everything they offer. He also has one thing they can't and it is the chance to lay hands on the stuff before you buy.

I have to agree with Jamie on this...and have used the manufacturers' local service centers a number of times for both warranty and non-warranty work/parts. The only time you may have an issue with warranty support is when something is purchased from a non-authorized reseller (grey market) and that is less common in this industry than in others. Amazon/ToolCrib is clearly and authorized reseller for the brands they sell.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When we bought the IR compressor for the mesquite outfit a couple years back, we were told (by either TS or IR, can't remember which) that the warranty period started the day Tractor Supply purchased the unit...not the consumer. Didn't make sense to me...and I really have no idea whether or not it's factual...but if true it might explain some problems folks have had with other retailers...

KC

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk (KC) Constable
    When we bought the IR compressor for the mesquite outfit a couple years back, we were told (by either TS or IR, can't remember which) that the warranty period started the day Tractor Supply purchased the unit...not the consumer. Didn't make sense to me...and I really have no idea whether or not it's factual...but if true it might explain some problems folks have had with other retailers...

KC
    Yeah, that doesn't make much sense to me either. Every warranty contract I've ever looked at is a contract between the manufacturer and the end-user. The dealer doesn't enter into it.
    Heck, most dealers can't tell you when they purchased a specific tool. They buy a bunch of some model and stick them in stock, then they sell from that stock. They don't keep track of each unit in stock, so a given one might have come from a recent buy or from an earlier buy.
    The only way this'd make any sense is if the tool you buy is not a new tool. If it is used, then the warranty period started when the first end-user bought the tool.