Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shop wall question

OSB and very happy!

HD sells 1/2" OSB for less than five bucks. It is WOOD, cuts easily, and hangs easier than drywall. No taping and mudding.
    It is all screwed with drywall screws for down-the-road mods to electrical, etc. Right now, it is still bare, but I intend to paint most of the walls white to reflect light. Some I may cover with TG Poplar since I have several thousand sq ft of it reclaimed.

I can screw, drill, cut, paint, undo, and redo to my hearts content cuz OSB is the cheapest per sq ft that I found and it is sturdy enough to handle most anything I throw at it (sometimes literally).
    This above all - To thine own self be true. Wm Shakespear - Hamlet

Drywall of course

This is one of those tails or pins first questions or which planer should I buy :-)

I use drywall cuz I have done a lot of it and it looks good painted. Since I built the new shop late last year in a residential area, I was looking at resale value as well.

Blog Entries

Smile OSB

Keith,

I have OSB on the walls and ceiling. I have been well satisfied with mine. I only wish I would have painted everything before I built shelves, work benches and cabinets. I still plan on taping everything off and spray paint everything white. I like being able to hang things anywhere on the walls, regardless if there's a stud there.

Blog Entries

peg board

I have 1/4" peg board on my walls aroung the upper part of the shop. You should still cover the insulation underneath with something like drywall, OSB or T-111. Exposed insulation is not good. It damages easily and defeats the purpose when it gets poked full of holes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Scott in Douglassville, PA Guest
    Thank you, Lee! Pegboard, pegboard, pegboard. Hafta think how many square feet of it I used - it's a lot. And came primed white. Looks good, relatively cheap, and every trip to dePot's like Christmas 'cause I can browse the pegboard goodies!

Blog Entries

Mines brown...

Didn't paint mine, would have made the shop brighter. Too much work now, I'd have to take down all the tools.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute