Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something to think about

Blog Entries

Something to think about

Would you rather be book smart or have common sense? Just a question to get the brain working and thinking for excercise before the weekend shop outings. Don't say both, just which one seems more important to you to survive in this day and age.

Yes! Err...ok, you said we couldn't say that.

While I crave "knowledge" I KNOW that common sense is more valuable in life. Therefore, that will be my answer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Common sense makes common sense
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Common sense helps gain knowledge.

Having knowledge doesn't create common sense.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Common sense.
    Our entire financial mess today is because of people who have no common sense. Many of them are well educated, some uneducated; but the one thing they have in common is zero common sense.

Common sense. As my grandfather used to say - "He's so educated he can't think straight." I know entirely too many people that can spew facts and figures but when faced with a practical issue cannot accomplish anything. Sort of like knowing the lumen output, metallurgy, electrical equations, and coating composition of a lightbulb but are completely unable to change one when it burns out.

Most folks with common sense are book smart as well. If I had a choice I would vote for common sense as the priority in my case.
    I have seen many people that are book smart and have almost no common sense. At one time I made quite a bit of money filling in the voids for them by doing their plumbing, electrical work, appliance repair, etc.
    David B

When grey matter was handed out, my brother went back to the brains table so many times that the common sense table was closed when he finally got there. He is the smartest person I know, but posses absolutely no common sense. None, zip, zero, zilch, nada! It is absolutely amazing to see some of the things he does in the name of "it's the smart thing to do". On the plus side, some of his actions provide the rest of the family with great entertainment value.

If I had to vote, I'd choose common sense. Knowledge can be obtained, but I'm not so sure about horse sense. Unfortunately for me, when grey matter was handed out, I was on vacation, so I got neither.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I'll take the rather uncommon "common sense" every time.

I read that common sense was best.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    When grey matter was handed out, my brother went back to the brains table so many times that the common sense table was closed when he finally got there. He is the smartest person I know, but posses absolutely no common sense. None, zip, zero, zilch, nada! It is absolutely amazing to see some of the things he does in the name of "it's the smart thing to do". On the plus side, some of his actions provide the rest of the family with great entertainment value.

If I had to vote, I'd choose common sense. Knowledge can be obtained, but I'm not so sure about horse sense. Unfortunately for me, when grey matter was handed out, I was on vacation, so I got neither.
    Sounds like you do have common sense. You're just underestimating yourself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Common sense helps gain knowledge.

Having knowledge doesn't create common sense.
    And Mitchell NAILS it!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This thread makes no sense...too common for me....

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Whatever makes cents.

Blog Entries
    Anyone with common sense would know it takes a well educated person to get along in life.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.