Thread: Wood counter finish help

Wood counter finish help

I need help in choosing the finish on my bar/kitchen counters and cabinets. I have built a bar/kitchen counters and cabinets out of red oak. It is located in a rec room I built in my pole barn in Michigan. It is kept above freezing and I turn up the heat when I am working or entertaining but temperature fluctuates a lot and it is not humidity controlled. I don’t want to use the bar top thick coatings because I don’t like the thick plastic coating look. I have read forums talking about Behlen Rockhard, Waterlox, Spar urethane, Watco and frankly my head is spinning. I like the color of Minwax special walnut wood finish stain. What should I coat the counter tops with to protect them from the water/alcohol and make them scratch resistant? What should I coat the trim and cabinets with to match but don’t require the water or scratch protection?
    I appreciate your input.

If it is not going to be a working butcher block then just pick any quality varnish (if you don't spray finishes) and use that. I had always used Waterlox for wiping finishes but I don't do that many and will likely go to Behlen's Rockhard from now on.

Finishing can be confusing with lots of contradictory statements, claims and marketing. Contrary to the marketing, polyurethane only adds some abrasion resistance and nothing chemically.

If the varnish is for brushing just thin 50/50 for wiping or brush on full strength.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Waterlox Original Gloss or Satin is an excellent choice as is Behlen's Rockhard. Both are phenolic resin varnishs. The Waterlox uses a tung oil--Behlen uses linseed oil--and tung oil makes a slightly more water and moisture resistant finish. Both are very hard and durable Avoid any type of "spar" varnish. Spar varnishes are formulated to be soft and flexible. Their increased percentage of oil means that they are also less water tolerant than standard interior varnish.
    Howie.........

I used Waterlox Original satin for my oak bar top. It gave it a warm color and has stood up well next to the sink. The label talks about using the sealer prior to the satin but I just put an extra coat of the satin on and have been very happy.