Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dentured alcohol....

dentured alcohol....

Ok, where is the best place to find dentured alcohol? I went to WallyWorld(walmart) and nothing in the cosmetics isle, asked someone, they thought I was talking about a denture cleaner...lol..The when I kinda explained she sent me to hardware, but no luck there either.

Should I be looking for it at a hobby store vs. a megamart?

Thanks,
    Mike B.
    Michael Burroughs
    Burroughs Engraving, Signs & Banners

I'm assuming you mean denatured alchohol. I would be surprised if you couldn't get it at Home Depot or Lowes (or almost any other hardware store). The probably sell it by the quart and the gallon in the paint department.

Roger

Last time I bought denatured alcohol was from Walmart. It was in the hardware section. It comes in a quart can for about $5. Curious what you are needing it for. Freeman Products lied to me one time and told me to dip their figures in it to turn them silver. Well, it messed them up and they refused to help on replacement costs (over $100.00). Anyway, no more Freeman and no more denatured alcohol around here!

We dip our figurines in meths to make em silver , you need to swish em about a bit and not leave it in too long.
    The "gold" colour is merely a coating of red laquer on the silver base.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Yep methylated spirits is what I use. Thinning my cermark and working with cermark. Never let me down so far.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Blog Entries
    It will also help finding it if you say it correctly when speaking to the "customer associate" (pronounced "de-natured", as in removing Mother Nature, not like a false set of teeth).

It's nothing more than ethanol (ethyl alcohol) that has been made toxic to drink (i.e., you have removed it's original purpose, or nature) by the addition of some impurity. For those picking up "methylated spirits", they added methanol. You can pick up some non-denatured stuff by looking for grain alcohol (EverClear, one brand name, can be found at some liquor stores). Ethanol is pretty nasty stuff biologically, but it's great for degreasing parts (hence the reason you find it in the hardware department).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

DNA is my number one cleaner in my engraving shop. I buy it by the gallon at HD or Sears for less than $15.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I get mine at Ace hardware. They have it in quart and gallon cans.

I get denatured alcohol at Ace or Home Depot or the local hardware store. At HD it is near the lacquer thinner and mineral spirits (paint section). My local Ace has it in the same section. The local hardware store has it right next to the minwax stains. I don't normally go to wal-mart, but I would think their hardware section would have it.

Denatured alcohol is called meth or methylated spirits in most other English speaking countries. Since you don't have a location on your profile...

(Just have to reminisce) Our department at the college where I used to work, would buy 5 gallon cans of pure grain alcohol.. Back in the days when we were still training divers with Mk5 equipment (the old old helmets and canvas suits you see on T.V) the only way to de-ice the divers air lines in the winter was to shake a few drops of the stuff down the line (not too much, or the diver could 'woof' in his helmet) This would loosen up the ice, and just wack him in the head (like getting shot in the back of the head with a BB gun).. We had to have a special license to buy this stuff, and had to keep a log of all we used, and 'none' ever got used for the graduation punch bowl ..Honest.. Student would say "What does it taste like" so I would pour a cap full and say try it.. This obviously was winter, and just the heat from his mouth would evaporate it instantly. They never could get a taste.. Like Homer says, Alcohol, the cause of, and the answer to, all of life's problems
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

That's very funny Bill. It made me think about the time that the Frenchies when they were caught out making the wine sweeter by adding car anti-freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    That's very funny Bill. It made me think about the time that the Frenchies when they were caught out making the wine sweeter by adding car anti-freeze.
    Not being much of a wine drinker, sometimes I think I 'am' drinking anti-freeze.. The only one I ever hear is that good Canadian Whine.. Iiii Don't Waaannnaa shovel the drivewayyyyy!!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Thanks Joe, found it at the local Farm & Fleet in the paint section. The reason I asked was that I never heard of the stuff nor did I know what it was used for. Anyway, all is good now.

Also, on a blonde moment (though I'm not blonde), when you guys kept refering to DNA for jobs I actually thought you ment 'spit' (get it..D.N.A.).
    Now I know what you guys actually refering to. LOL..

Mike
    Michael Burroughs
    Burroughs Engraving, Signs & Banners

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burroughs View Post
    ....Also, on a blonde moment (though I'm not blonde)
    ....I'm finding that hard to believe!

Golden Grain

You can buy it at most liquor stores, from a pint to a gallon. It is much
    cheaper this way.

Dave