Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real Roses

Real Roses

Has anyone ever engraved real roses before? I bought a few just to try, but can't seem to get the focus right.

Can anyone give me any tips or tricks for doing them?

I'm attaching a pic that someone else did.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    ....Can anyone give me any tips or tricks ....

Yes I can. Watch out for thorns. Roses have thorns on them and they can hurt. I could have attached a picture here of someone with a thorn in their finger to demonstrate how awkward these things can be if not handled properly, but some people get squeamish. Also, cut the roses off the rose bush because the soil can get into the bearings and cause all sorts of problems, which I will tackle in another post (possibly the same post as the one entitled, 'Watch for the thorns'). The big question. Same question posed when engraving biscuits or cornflakes, why?
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Here's the best advice you're gonna get. Quit fooling around with them and give them to your wife before you ruin them.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'm one of those people that has done cookies, beans, leaves, and even a banana and toilet paper. Never tried a rose though, looks like you may need to use a rotary attachment.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Mike.....If I had a wife, I wouldn't need to know how to engrave a rose.....

Frank......giving a girl an engraved cornflake just doesn't have the same effect as giving her an engraved rose.......how long have you been married?

Joe......thank God someone on this forum gives practical advice!!!!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Steve, the secret behind engraving cornflakes is not to just engrave a single cornflake, but rather to engrave an entire box. That way you can engrave not just a simple word or phrase, but the ENTIRE LOVE LETTER. Thats right, engrave the entire love letter and then jumble it up and put it back in the box and let her put the words together across your dining room table. It serves a dual purpose.
    A.) It shows her just how much you love her.
    B.) It gives her something to do during those long lonely hours while you are away laser engraving a box of rice crispies.

Thats right, I am giving this marital advice away for free, nada, zip, nothing! Thats right and if you order right now I will throw in a pamplet on how to talk yourself out of the misunderstanding when she puts them in the wrong order and comes up with "I'm so miserable without you its almost like your here"

I hope you take credit cards........it's free shipping and handling too, I hope.....

I'm glad I bought the Family Size box of Corn Flakes this week.....I'm going to go get started right now!

Comedy gold.

Same question posed when engraving biscuits or cornflakes, why?
    In the case of biscuits they taste at least 20% better when engraved with a skull and crossbones and "Dad's biscuits DO NOT TOUCH". According to my kids, that is.

Yea Darren.....I gave up on the chocolate mold thing and moved on to roses......obviously I have way too much time on my hands!

I got bored one night and thought about lasering my name on M&M's to designate these were MINE! Sadly, the kids at them in the dark while watching a movie and "claimed" to not have seen my name on them.

I never got to taste any of my biscuits either. *sigh*

Don't worry Steve...everything in our house is engraved except the kids...and that's only cause I can't focus on 'em in time...

Quote Originally Posted by John W. Love View Post
    Steve, the secret behind engraving cornflakes is not to just engrave a single cornflake, but rather to engrave an entire box. That way you can engrave not just a simple word or phrase, but the ENTIRE LOVE LETTER. Thats right, engrave the entire love letter and then jumble it up and put it back in the box and let her put the words together across your dining room table. It serves a dual purpose.
    A.) It shows her just how much you love her.
    B.) It gives her something to do during those long lonely hours while you are away laser engraving a box of rice crispies.

Thats right, I am giving this marital advice away for free, nada, zip, nothing! Thats right and if you order right now I will throw in a pamplet on how to talk yourself out of the misunderstanding when she puts them in the wrong order and comes up with "I'm so miserable without you its almost like your here"
    Perhaps just a box of Alphabits, and she can assemble her own damn love letter!!

I did these shotglasses a while back for a customer, who I assume was of the opinion "Liquor IS Quicker"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Cunningham; 01-13-2009 at 11:35 PM.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Mike.....If I had a wife, I wouldn't need to know how to engrave a rose.....

Frank......giving a girl an engraved cornflake just doesn't have the same effect as giving her an engraved rose.......how long have you been married?
    You guys are hysterically funny! And so romantic, too. Who would have thought there was a man out there engraving love letters on cornflakes! Sigh . . .

Steve, I have just the lady for you (if you're in the market). I received my first e-mail from her the other day and this is her sig line . . . "You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses." Now are you guys a match made in heaven, or what! (Actually she sounds like a perfect match for Frank but he already has a wife.) I typically don't like people who are so obviously upbeat and happy, but she's an exception.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Laser Match Dot Com

Belinda, Oh how I would love to date a Southern Belle! I've made a few trips down to Tennessee over the past few years and the women down there are soooo nice......send her up to NY for me please!

Belinda, Oh how I would love to date a Southern Belle! I've made a few trips down to Tennessee over the past few years and the women down there are soooo nice......send her up to NY for me please!
    Sorry Steve, she moved here two years ago for somewhere up north, Cincinnati I believe. We haven't quite gotten her whipped into Belle shape yet. I'm working on it though! Belles can be quite high maintenance and right now she's pretty much wash and wear. I'll be getting together with her and about 15 other women for a getaway weekend on the 20th of March. I'll be sure to send you some photos as all but three are single!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra