46. You may not vote on this poll
  • SCMS

40 86.96%
  • RAS

6 13.04%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need your help chosing

Industrial RAS

Well, I don't have a sliding compound miter saw- just a simple Makita 10" chop saw.

But I do have a MASSIVE Walker Turner 12" ras that I restored. I really like it, but I have a particular penchant for old woodworking machinery.

I use it as my main crosscut tool. I often work with pretty large timbers. I rarely move it off of 90 degrees, but this one actually does have accurate detents, especially if you always use one side of the slop in the detent.

Get a SCMS, and don't worry about it. If you want a RAS, I'd say hold out for an industrial model OR an OLD one. Forget most of the craftsman RAS unless they are from the 50's or older.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up SCMS

Jim,

No contest, I would get the SCMS and cut my dados with the table saw or router.
    I personaly know of some job sites where the RAS is not allowed due to safety concerns.

My apoligies for saying

that a SCMS will do anything that a RAS will do except Dadoes. When I said that, keep in mind that I have a RAS, and all it does is rough cutoffs. So, in my thinking I do not rip with it, [as I think it is unsafe,] I do not use it for raised panels, I use my shaper, and I do not put a flex shaft on the adaptor to run whiz ma gigs on the end of it. I do not use it for angle cuts, as it hasn't been turned in so long that the miter lock is froze.So, I guess what I stated is not true. But, hands down, I will use my 12" slider before I will use the RAS. One of these days, it will be used as a boat anchor. My 2 cents. Steve

Blog Entries
    i guess im in the ras boat. just moved up from a 10" delta to the 12". other than dadoes, cutting drawer stock is a plus. the 10" didnt give the accuracy that the 12" can for angles,etc. considering raised panels its great for cutting stock to length for glue ups, even rough sawn lumber, cabinet upper shelving,etc. in my opinion a slider wont hold up in the long run in a production setting.

now considering if you have a sufficient miter box. a RAS i could see in the picture. but if you have neither and production is not an issue, a slider will give you years of service. which ever suits your needs get a "good" one....jack