Thread: Jet lathe?

Jet lathe?

I have a jet 12/20 and I was wondering if I could put a variable speed control on it so I dont have to constantly swith belt
    "Don't Sweat the Petty Things and Don't Pet the Sweaty Things "

There have been threads on this subject and a quick Google returned this.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT.html
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

The link in bill's post is for the 10/14 mini lathe and probably would need some modification to get to fit your 12/20. I'm also not sure that it's got the horsies for a 12" swing at low speed, but that's something only experience can decide. The OEM variable speed 10/14 mini really struggles to turn a full-throw sized bowl at low speeds if you're used to taking reasonably sized cuts, I found. So YMMV but I don't think that the retrofit would be worthwhile, IMHO.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Yea, sorry. I was thinking that the 12/20 was the mini.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

1220 VS lathe

The 1220 is now available with a 3/4 hp vs set up now, maybe you could sell your current lathe as it is a very good lathe and get the vs, doing an up grade would be very expensive. Our club had a voltage spike and it damaged the controller. A new controller is $130 and the motor is $260 for a 1014vs,.

Dan

I will start a thread showing what I did

Paul, Since this is about the 5th or 6th time this sort of question has come up since I joined SMC I will start a new post with pictures and such of my change over. It can be done but it will cost a little money.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown