Thread: Lathe Safety

Lathe Safety

With all the recent posts about accidents and injuries on the lathe I thought I'd copy this from the American Association of Woodturners website. It's the start of a new year and a good time to evaluate and re-evaluate your turning techniques and practices. I believe every injury I've received from working on my lathe , along with all the ones I've read about have been the result of ignoring one or more of these guidelines.

The AAW Lathe Safety Guidelines

1. Safe, effective use of a wood lathe requires study and knowledge of procedures for using this tool. Read and thoroughly understand the label warnings on the lathe and in the owner's/operator's manual.
    2. Always wear safety goggles or safety glasses that include side protectors and a full face shield when needed. Wood dust can be harmful to your respiratory system. Use a dust mask or helmet and proper ventilation (dust collection system) in dusty work conditions. Wear hearing protection during extended periods of operation.
    3. Tie back long hair, do not wear gloves, loose clothing, jewelry or any dangling objects that may catch in rotating parts or accessories.
    4. Check the owner/operator's manual for proper speed recommendations. Use slower speeds for larger diameter or rough pieces and increased speed for smaller diameters and pieces that are balanced. If the lathe is shaking or vibrating, lower the speed. If the workpiece vibrates, always stop the machine to check the reason.
    5. Make certain that the belt guard or cover is in place. Check that all clamping devices (locks), such as on the tailstock and toolrest are tight.
    6. Rotate your workpiece by hand to make sure it clears the toolrest and bed before turning the lathe "on". Be sure that the workpiece turns freely and is firmly mounted. It is always safest to turn the lathe "off" before adjusting the tool rest.
    7. Exercise caution when using stock with cracks, splits, checks, bark, knots, irregular shapes or protuberances.
    8. Hold turning tools securely on the toolrest and hold the tool in a controlled but comfortable manner. Always use a slower speed when starting until the workpiece is balanced. This helps avoid the possibility of an unbalanced piece jumping out of the lathe and striking the operator.
    1. When running a lathe in reverse, it is possible for a chuck or faceplate to unscrew unless it is securely tightened on the lathe spindle.
    2. Know your capabilities and limits. An experienced woodturner may be capable of techniques and procedures not recommended for beginning turners.
    3. When using a faceplate, be certain the workpiece is solidly mounted. When turning between centers, be certain the workpiece is secure.
    4. Always remove the toolrest before sanding or polishing operations.
    5. Don't overreach, keep proper footing and balance at all times.
    6. Keep lathe in good repair. Check for damaged parts, alignment, binding of moving parts and other conditions that may affect its operation.
    7. Keep tools sharp and clean for better and safer performance. Don't force a dull tool. Don't use a tool for a purpose not intended. Keep tools out of reach of children.
    8. Consider your work environment. Don't use lathe in damp or wet locations. Do not use in presence of flammable liquids or gases. Keep work area well lit.
    9. Stay alert. Watch what you are doing, use common sense. Don't operate tool when you are tired or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
    10. Guard against electric shock. Inspect electric cords for damage. Avoid the use of extension cords.
    11. Remove chuck keys and adjusting wrenches. Form a habit of checking for these before switching on the lathe.
    12. Never leave the lathe running unattended. Turn power off. Don't leave the lathe until it comes to a complete stop.

Curt thanks for the post. You are right that most injuries occur by not following a few basic rules or by not paying attention to what is going on. It just takes one lapse of attention or you get in a hurry to get something done. I got in a hurry the other day to get a piece done because I knew it would be a week before I got back to it. I reached around to my 4 X 36 belt sander to just take a fraction off a 2 X 2 piece. Well I am not fast enough to move my hand when I put just a little to much pressure on the little piece when it shot out and I have a dime size spot on my middle finger with no hide on it. Yea I was in a hurry and pulled a stupid stunt.

So all be safe and have a great year turning.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Yes, I also agree that these common sense safety procedures are a requirement, not a recomendation. I've been turning for a while and must admit to making some real bonehead safety errors, like forgetting to remove the chuck key prior to turning the lathe on. Scared the **** out of me!!!!!

Thanks for posting Curt! Should be required reading!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks for posting this Curt, GOOD STUFF!!!!

I will admit that I break the 2nd #7 all the time as I love teaching children to turn
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

The only one I have issue with is the - do not wear gloves rule.

Without gloves, some shavings coming off the tool are too hot to handle! I cannot seem to direct them anywhere but on my left hand.

Blog Entries
    One time when I was sanding, I was not paying close attention and the tip of my fabric glove and the sandpaper got caught in the spin.

I have since switched to a tighter pair of gloves and have cut the tips off.

My reason is because it is cold.

Never had shavings too hot to handle. At least not with wood.

Then again, I keep my belts on the slow side of the sheaves.

jim

yeah, i needed that. I am guilty of three of those easy. I had a question. My lathe doesn't reverse but my next one will.

"When running a lathe in reverse, it is possible for a chuck or faceplate to unscrew unless it is securely tightened on the lathe spindle."

does that just mean lock the spindle and tighten it? I've ready of some types of chucks and faceplates that lock to the spindle. Do most people have that or is just tightening it enough?

Alex

Guilty as charged!

Curt, You must be nearing your promotion to sainthood! Holy cow!! the information you posted is all amazing! We become camplacant and busy and forget the biggest priority in our life, SELF PRESERVATION! Thanks for letting us know we are not machines and there will always be another day to finish or start a project. I learned the hard way by tearing both my rotator cuffs when I was still working, and numerous surgeries later I am limited to what I can do. I take pain meds to keep me going, but after I am done with the lathe work! I push my self some times and pay the price, I guess since I am still a man we tend to push the boundaries a bit!

Thanks and 2009 will be safer for us all!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown