Thread: QG steel extension for PRL

QG steel extension for PRL

Last week I received a 24in steel extension from Quality Grinding. The extension has a cutout for a Woodpecker PRL router lift (the older version 1) . It also has a t miter slot milled into the top. Its 1/2in steel so it weighs in at 105 lbs.

I couldn't be happier with the quality of the workmanship. The top is deadflat and the router plate fits perfectly. It actually was a little too tight because of the ball bearing detents on the side. I ended up sanding off the gold paint on the edges to make it not so tight. I wanted to be able to easily remove the router lift so I could optional slip in a plate with a PC spindle sander. The sander plate doesn't have the ball bearing detents and fit perfectly.

I debated for awhile on how to arrange the existing two 8in extensions and the new 24in extension. I ended up mounting the QG extension to the right of the right extension followed by the extension that used to be on the left hand side of my saw. I got one of those Jessem sliders so that had to come offf.

One really nice side benefits to having all that cast iron and steel is that I can now use magjigs to attach my incra router fence. I have 4 mounted in a piece of plywood but only two are really needed. These are the 30mm versions and I can't move the fence when there engaged. I also have 320 grit sand paper glued to the bottom of the plywood.

Everyone at quality grinding was really nice to deal with. I had a bunch of questions and they called to ask me things like what type of miter slot did I want, regular or t slot as they were making it. They called after I got it to make sure everything was ok. Very pleasing experience.

I attached some pictures showing my new setup.

~mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 01-08-2009 at 11:23 AM.

a few more pictures..

I had another idea...

Now that my incra fence can be easily moved with the magnets it would be easy to use as a micro adjuster for my tablesaw fence (last picture). I havn't actually tried this but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 01-07-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Great looking setup! I have been toying with the idea of the QG extension also. I had some questions and they were great! he spent 10 to 20 mins just talking! It was great! Just curious what you are planning on for dust collection for the extension wing?

Hi Jay,

You can't see it in any of the pictures but the extensions are being held up by a woodpecker router table. I don't have the dust collector enclosure mounted yet. I havn't figured out how to mount that yet to the QC extension. I also plan on adding a bunch of drawers under the extension to the right of the PRL.

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    a few more pictures..

I had another idea...

Now that my incra fence can be easily moved with the magnets it would be easy to use as a micro adjuster for my tablesaw fence (last picture). I havn't actually tried this but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    Mark, doess that ssandng spindle vibrate at router speeds?
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

John,

I'm using a Porter Cable 121 oscillating spindle sander. Its attached to a separate insert plate. My shop is small so I try to combine stuff as much as possible. ~mark

Heres what it looks like under the table.

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-1.../dp/B00004WGQD

Cool. That's the same plate (and vintage) I plan on putting in one. Just need to get off my duff and finalize where I want the T-slots (2) and opening. I talked to Chris the other day and it looks like I'm going to end up putting a 26x28 on mine. I wonder if I should just ask them if they can make the opening a couple thou larger just so the fit isn't so tight?
    Use the fence Luke

Mark the attachment plate for your sander is that something you made yourself or did you have to purchase the adapter plate.

Chris

Chris,

I bought the sander plate from woodpecker. I don't think they make them anymore.

~mark

I did't know they made a setup like that for your router insert. Nice idea for the sander.

Chris

I recently discussed a 30" extension with Chris with a few extra things. Unfortunately I'm having to wait for the monies but I really like the idea you had with the micro adjust. I had not thought of that. Thanks.