Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Love You Guys & Gals!

I Love You Guys & Gals!

Thanks to all of the helpful posts on the Creek, I braved my first granite tile from HD, and didn't even screw it up. I never would have known what to do, where to start or what to check for without you all even though I have been using my laser for over 4 years.... never did granite before. Of course it's not a photo of a person, but it is a photo of a watercolor painting (baby steps, people!)

Not that this is something I will do often (I think), but now I won't be afraid if someone else asks for one. Sorry the picture is not as clear as it looked on my computer. That's another lesson to learn.

Thanks again to so many of you who generously posted settings, prep procedures, pictures and comments.

cheers, dee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Well done Dee. Looks very nice with the inscription on it. What size did you do this on?
    Last edited by Frank Corker; 01-07-2009 at 1:03 PM.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thanks, Frank (all hail Frank Corker)-

This is a 12" tile, and the girl's Chinese name means Loves Horse (Ai-Ma sounds a lot like Emma), and she was born in the year of the Horse.

Her grandfather commissioned it for her birthday in May. Don't you love customers who plan ahead?

BTW - question to everyone: I charged $80 for this, was that in the right ballpark? The tile was on sale for $6.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Job well done Dee, here is pic of a wedding picture I did on some 4 inch black glossy porcelain tile. It's really different than the granite or marble tile but just to give you something else to think about.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]SR Engraving
    Irving, TX
    Epilog 35W, Corel X3 AND "How about those COWBOYS"...this will be the year???

Funny you should mention that, Phil. I bought one 4" ceramic tile at the same time but have not done anything with it. I wondered if I could blast the glaze off to expose the white..apparently you can!

Thanks,dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee, Tile is easy to laser. I use two methods.
    1. Laser through the glaze, then paint fill.
    2. Paint the tile black and use a negative image. Here you only have to laser away the layer of paint. This the method I prefer for photos.
    The second method is the easiest, but both produce great results. Besides for a $.13 investment in a 4x4 tile it's dirt cheap.
    Another hint - I get much better photos on tiles without PhotoGrav.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim,

I like the idea of painting and then exposing the tile, could have some fun with that. What paint do you use? Does it chip/flake off easily?

Zax.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    2. Paint the tile black and use a negative image. Here you only have to laser away the layer of paint. This the method I prefer for photos.
    The second method is the easiest, but both produce great results. Besides for a $.13 investment in a 4x4 tile it's dirt cheap.

I use acrylic paint. After it dries it really sticks to the tile. Like anything it can scratch, but I'm surprised how durable it is. I've got a couple I've used for coasters and for hot pans/dishes, with no problems or scratches to-date. A couple I've even baked @ 200 for 20-30min. Those are even more difficult to scratch.

I'm open to additional methods.

BTW, I've used that bake method with anodized tags as well.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Anyone try the Krylon Fusion on ceramic?

I love it on acrylic espcially the hammered metals. Might be nice on a tile if it sticks good.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post

Thanks for the tips, Tim -

I'll have to try the tile. So if you are not using PhotGrav for photos, what is your prep procedure?

cheers, dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

B&W images inverted to a negative, then use Epilog's Dithering options. Not all would agree, but I get better range of gray tones with fewer dots.
    These tiles are so cheap, try both.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Dee,

What settings did you end up with? Did you use any of the other tricks like amourall?

It looks 100,000 times better than MY first attempt!!!!

Nice job.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Thanks, Steve-

I used 100 speed/25 power on my 35w Epilog.

I did use the Armorall trick, which makes the black blacker. I also used Photgrav but only after I twiddled with the black and white levels in Photoshop. I tried doing the Gold Method action first, but it was not as clear.

On my test tile I used 300 dpi and 600 dpi. 600 was better. As a result of suggestions, I am keeping the test tile with markings to show the different settings used so I know next time what does what. Other speed/power combinations did different things but 100/25 worked best for this job.

In the end, I did decide to color fill a little with white oil paint, it brightened the light areas to create more contrast and looks much nicer now. The test tile came in handy there too, so I could see how much is enough and how much is too much.

The posts here saved me reinventing the wheel and tearing my hair out, not to mention wasting a lot of granite. THANKS everyone!

The Creek Rules!

Red Coin Mah Jong

I used the settings for marble when I did mine.....I think that was the biggest mistake I made (out of the MANY!). Thanks for sharing.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Dee, I forgot to ask.....which Photograv material setting did you use?