Thread: The Super Structure MUST GO !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question The Super Structure MUST GO !

OK who know something about Garage doors. I'm looking for something that doesn't have all the track and motors hanging form the ceiling. But, also doesn't look like a warehouse door from the outside.

Thanx
    Attached Images Attached Images

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

I have a roll up door on my pole building that may look like a warehouse door to some folks but it has served me well.
    The only way you are going to get away from the type of door you have now is to go to a roll up or hinged door. From your posted photo it looks like you have two standard garage doors. There are some different custom doors that may do what you want and look the way you want but you will be paying big bucks for them. Start some Google searches to get some ideas.
    David B

You don't have a lot of overhead room to work with. The only things I can think of are coiling doors (similar to what you might see in a mall) or sliders (like Norm's).
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

You have two doors, right? Remove the track and motor from one leaving the side rails in place. Put a couple of locks through holes in the top of the track to keep it from being used and, voila, headroom issue gone!!

How about thinking about carriage or bifold doors?

Just another option.

Ditto on carriage doors. That's all people used to have before modern day conveniences.
    MMMMMMMMMMMBEEEEEERRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!! !!

It won't buy you too much but going with a Wayne-Dalton I-drive will eliminate the garage door opener being in the middle of your ceiling space. You'll still have the garage tracks or large springs to deal with.

I, too, wanted something like this but LOML rules on all aesthetics for the house and naturally I was wrong about this style of garage door working....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

If I remember right you can get longer/taller side rails that would put the tracks much closer to the ceiling not sure if this will fit the bill but it would not cost much.
    Thank You
    Ed

You can do what Ed suggested but you have to make sure you get the special rollers for top set of wheels on the door that allow for the lack of overhead. IIRC they may be called quick turn or something like that.

I had a set of garage doors that whose rails were just a couple of inches down from the ceiling and everything worked perfectly well.

Rob

Well with out the rails and openers I have 10 foot ceilings. I guess I'm stuck with a roll-up type door.

Unless someone can point me in the direction of lightweight carriage style door designs.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

I used a hi-riser kit to put my rails right up near the ceiling. It gained me almost 2' of headroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Damm View Post
    I used a hi-riser kit to put my rails right up near the ceiling. It gained me almost 2' of headroom.
    Chris,

Do you have any details/links about this kit? I'd like to learn more about it and see if it could apply to my garage door, which is a sectional.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries

Low clearance kit

If you still want the doors and the opener, get a low clearance door kit and the tracks will install much closer to the ceiling. I had to get one for my garage doors as the ceiling is infact too low for a nor ml installation. My one door actually travels with abpout 3/4" clearance under the joists and the opener is mounted further back in the garage with an extension arm.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My shop will be in a 10x10 space with 7.5ft ceilings which are dropped below 7ft when the overhead door is up. I also cannot hang any lighting with this current arrangement. I plan to build swing out style carraige doors as what I have priced out thus far is simply too expensive. A google search reveals alot of good photos to get some ideas from. I'm not happy about dropping 200$ on an entry door rail and stile router bit set but its still cheaper than any quotes I have gotten thus far.

Peter

Do you have any room above the ceiling? I too did not want door rails killing my limited headroom so put the door through a slot in my ceiling between joists. I also didn't want the door to take up all the floor space of the storage above so ran the rails along the rafters.