Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw With Double Router Extensions

Table Saw With Double Router Extensions

The picture below is my old Grizzly 1023 table saw with two Quality Grinding and Machines new steel router extensions installed. Both of the extensions have identical JessEm router lifts and are 24" wide, only one has a miter slot.

This setup allowed me to get rid of my old router table and save some floor space. At the same time I was able to keep my table saw which I rarely use anymore due to the changes in my shop work. New life for an old saw...and the router tables are the hot setup...better than I imagined.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-06-2009 at 6:32 AM.

Yummy!

This pic never seems to get old and is so fitting.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Keith,
    I don't imagine that beast gets moved a whole lot, does it?
    Maurice

Those are great, Keith. (I can't tell from the pictures, but I sure hope there is a good support system under those heavy monsters! LOL)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

And I thought my 16" J/P was an aircraft carrier!! Nice looking stuff...didn't even notice that it was once a table saw....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Hehehe...waiting anxiously for mine to come....
    I sent Chris all the information he needed, and he has responded to every e-mail promtly... I see great customer service from Quality Grinding and Machine and I'm not even a paying customer but I know how this works...after I install the first, I too will want "double extensions" like Keith

Seriously Keith, great looking set-up and I can't wait to get mine...pics will follow!!

Roger (who will be headed to hopefully warmer VA next weekend for the SAPFM and CW Meetings....)

The table saw weighed about 500 pounds from Grizzly, as best I can recall.
    The new steel extensions weigh about 90 pounds each, subtracting the weight of the two original Grizzly extensions that I removed the saw probably only weighs about 125 pounds more now than it did when it was new. Give or take a couple pounds

The angle iron on the front and back of the saw extends to the ends of the new extensions so they have plenty of support, in fact they are rock solid. The saw doesn't seem tippy, I expect because it is now perfectly balanced. I do have a leg installed on one side but I honestly don't think it is needed...I will probably install another leg on the other extension for the heck of it...these are the two legs that were originally on my right side 50" table extension that came with the Beis fence and since I have them it doesn't hurt to install them.

I really enjoy using the new router tables. I feel like I have finally joined everyone else in the same century

Cool

Wow, Keith you really know how to rub it in. I guess I can add that to my dreams.

Last edited by Don Bullock; 01-06-2009 at 2:27 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Keith,

Very cool setup. I got my QG extension last week. I will be posting some pictures soon.

~mark

Ok, but where do you put the router??

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    The picture below is my old Grizzly 1023 table saw with two Quality Grinding and Machines new steel router extensions installed. Both of the extensions have identical JessEm router lifts and are 24" wide, only one has a miter slot.

This setup allowed me to get rid of my old router table and save some floor space. At the same time I was able to keep my table saw which I rarely use anymore due to the changes in my shop work. New life for an old saw...and the router tables are the hot setup...better than I imagined.

Ok, dumb guy question....

What is the advantage of steel over cast iron?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    The table saw weighed about 500 pounds from Grizzly, as best I can recall.
    The new steel extensions weigh about 90 pounds each, subtracting the weight of the two original Grizzly extensions that I removed the saw probably only weighs about 125 pounds more now than it did when it was new. Give or take a couple pounds

The angle iron on the front and back of the saw extends to the ends of the new extensions so they have plenty of support, in fact they are rock solid. The saw doesn't seem tippy, I expect because it is now perfectly balanced. I do have a leg installed on one side but I honestly don't think it is needed...I will probably install another leg on the other extension for the heck of it...these are the two legs that were originally on my right side 50" table extension that came with the Beis fence and since I have them it doesn't hurt to install them.

I really enjoy using the new router tables. I feel like I have finally joined everyone else in the same century

Now thats some serious iron, looking good boss!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

That’s cool. I’m envious.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Ok, dumb guy question....

What is the advantage of steel over cast iron?

Jason
    Jason,

I can't post a link to another forum but simply Google: steel vs cast iron

You'll find some interesting stuff

An exerpt:

wrought iron has no carbon, old mild steel had .03% carbon, .35% is the start of high carbon steel, bearing races generally have 1.0% carbon. cast iron has as much as 3 to 4% carbon much of it in a free state, picture a glass full of marbles representing iron molecules and you fill in the void with black pepper representing the carbon. Mild steel has a tensile strength of around 60,000, cast iron is around 36,000 and is brittle, it will break before it gives or bends. Pig Iron called that because of the way it was originally cast it looked like a bunch of piglets nursing their mother, has much more carbon before it is refined into usable cast iron. Cast iron is refined into mild and other steels by removing a lot of the carbon and having other alloys incorporated into it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Jason,

Quality Grinding & Machine uses 3/8" mild steel plate then welds 3/8" flat bar underneath for the support structure, then machines the surface perfectly flat. It will stay that way. Steel seems to have more sound deadening properties than cast iron, although I can't prove it. Both routers are very quiet when running, about half the noise level of my last router table. Steel is much tougher than cast, it will take a beating year after year without warping or cracking.

Both table saw extensions were machined to fit the router raisers by QCM, the fit is perfect which is very rare these days. The fit is so tight you must drop the router plate into the extension straight down or it won't go. The machined lip that supports the router plate combined with the two steel bars built into the router raiser means the router plate will never sag...ever. The miter slot is machined so straight that my mite gauge slides effortlessly, the tension is consistent from end to end. Neither of the slots in my table saw are even close to the tolerance of the QGM slot so I have to leave a little slop in the miter gauge adjustment when I use the table saw slots. The 60,000 PSI tensile strength of mild steel won't wear like cast iron does, my great grandson could probably use these router tables and they wouldn't show any signs of wear.

Check out this thread for pictures, the second page has several pics of the first router installed.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-06-2009 at 8:52 PM.