Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: software help needed

Quote Originally Posted by Al Schatz View Post
    Dick: I too have Easy Forms Maker. The DLL files you are missing is a Dynamic Link Library file and you can go to Google and very easily download it and add it to your windows systems file folder and it should work. I love this program, but am now running Windows 7 and it will NOT work with 7 ! darn it. Have emailed the company, but without any response so far. Stay with XP if you want to continue to use the Easy Forms. Good luck there.
    Check to see if it will run in Windows 7 Professional in the XP virtual machine that's available with that version. The XP virtual machine literally gives you WinXP environment for accommodating older software. Note that this is not available with Win7 Home Professional. The upgrade isn't major expensive.

I installed Win7 Professional in Parallels on my new iMac exactly for this reason...to insure I could, if I needed to, have the ability to create an XP environment.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

DLLs are always a "pleasure" to work with. This is the simplified version of my usual troubleshooting of dlls:

1. check if it is present in your system. Under most common installations, this dll should be located in c:\windows\system32

2. also check if ctl3dv2.dll is present in the same folder too. The two kinda work together, so if one is corrupted or missing the other one may throw errors too.

If the above are found then:

3. since this dll cannot be registered (regsvr32 won't work on it) it may be statically linked within the application you are trying to use. The hardcoded path could be anybody's guess but if this is the case then the dll from path in #1 above could be copied to where your program's executable files are located. Then try to run the proggie.

4. one or both are corrupted (need to download the dll as suggested above) and placed into the path as described in #1.

One trick with a lot of dll files is the source where you download it from. I could send you that dll (I won't) but you'd never know what else it does in your system. Bottom line, get it from someone you trust, like a family member or a neighbor with the same operating system.
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Check to see if it will run in Windows 7 Professional in the XP virtual machine that's available with that version. The XP virtual machine literally gives you WinXP environment for accommodating older software. Note that this is not available with Win7 Home Professional. The upgrade isn't major expensive.

I installed Win7 Professional in Parallels on my new iMac exactly for this reason...to insure I could, if I needed to, have the ability to create an XP environment.
    If you wanted XP why would you install Windows 7 om a Mac to run windows XP. That seems like you could have problems with trying to run 3 different OS to run a program. Why not just install XP.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-11-2011 at 9:26 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    If you wanted XP why would you install Windows 7 om a Mac to run windows XP. That seems like you could have problems with trying to run 3 different OS to run a program. Why not just install XP.
    In retrospect, I supposed if I ever needed XP, I would likely install it in a separate VM under Parallels from Win7. That's actually unlikely because I really dislike XP. I live for the day when my work laptop gets upgraded so I can run Win7.

But for folks with a newer Windows machine that isn't a candidate to run XP due to hardware having moved on, Win7 Pro offers a solution to support the 10 year old Win XP in a virtual machine to run older programs. Win7 Pro also has better networking support when there are multiple versions of Windows on the network and sharing is desired.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Win 7 machine that I run VM ware on it to use some of my older programs that will not run on Win 7 even in compatibility mode. I need my scanner and that won't work under Win 7 either.