Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: software help needed

software help needed

I have been using an old program called Softkey "Easy Forms Maker" for about 10 years. About 3 years ago I updated to XP and everything was fine. Recently I had have the disk reformatted and reloaded. I cannot run this anymore. A prompt says cannot find "CTL3D.DLL cannot run 16 bit program". Do I have any options to run the forms I have used? I cannot find any updates to this software. Thanks in advance for any info.

Try installing it again, but before you click on the "Setup" or "Install" file, right click on the setup or install file you'll be clicking and select "Properties". You should see a window with several tabs on it. Click on the "Compatibility" tab, then check the box that says "Compatibility Mode- Run this program in compatibility mode for". Once it's checked, click on the drop down box arrow and select Windows 98 or something else. Click okay, then go back to that file, right click on it, and select "Open".

Also, you may have to reboot and then try and open it.

It might work, it might not, but it's helped me in getting some older programs installed and running.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Sent you a pm
    Last edited by Mike Furness; 01-05-2009 at 1:02 PM.

Scott...thanks for the reply but there is no compatability option. general, auto play, hardware, sharing and recording are the 5 tabs.

Dick,
    Don't give up. I spent a lot of time on the Internet trying to find out if my Adobe Photoshop version 5.5 would work with Vista and did not get any positive answers on the compatibility sites. I tried it and it works fine. Did the same thing with MS Office 97, again no positive answers. Tried it and all is fine. There are some older programs that will not with Vista but many will. XP should even be better and easier in the compatibility area.
    Softkey made some very good software but some may be upgrade hogs. If you don't get any answers that work for you here keep trying on the Internet.
    Last edited by David G Baker; 01-05-2009 at 1:26 PM.
    David B

"...no compatability option. general, auto play, hardware, sharing and recording are the 5 tabs..."

That's because you are "right clicking" on the disk icon, not the application installer. If you "double click" the disk icon it should open a window that will display the contents of the disk. That's where you will find the application installer. Follow Scott's instructions from there....
    David DeCristoforo

I've tried every option in the compatability tab and no go. Still get the same CTL3.DLL prompt. Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess it's time for a new program.

The help on it says that the program has to be on your computer. Are you right clicking on a file that's on a CD? Are you able to get it installed and it won't run? It says that the file must not be on removable media (or something like that).

Search your windows help for Compatibility Wizard and see if you can navigate it from there instead.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Dick, if you stilll haven't got it fixed, there are some additional pointers for that specific problem at this site (cut and paste into your browser address bar. Not posting as a direct link since that's a no-no):

http://www.asksomeone.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7185
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

google the missing file name....CTL3.DLL. there should be some places to dl it from.

I have successfully downloaded dll files in the past and fixed corrupted files so as Randy suggested, give it a shot.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    Dick, if you stilll haven't got it fixed, there are some additional pointers for that specific problem at this site (cut and paste into your browser address bar. Not posting as a direct link since that's a no-no):
    Tom, a direct link is a no-no when it’s to an auction site like eBay or to another woodworking forum.
    Your link is perfectly acceptable.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-06-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Tom, a direct link is a no-no when it’s to an auction site like eBay or to another woodworking forum.
    Your link is perfectly acceptable.
    Direct links to any forum are prohibited, Bruce, not just woodworking forums. Tom's method for a cut and paste link was the correct way to deal with it for a forum reference.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Direct links to any forum are prohibited, Bruce, not just woodworking forums. Tom's method for a cut and paste link was the correct way to deal with it for a forum reference.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    My bad. I thought it was just WW forums. Please delete.
    LSNE
    (learn something new everyday..)
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

easy forms maker

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Adair View Post
    I have been using an old program called Softkey "Easy Forms Maker" for about 10 years. About 3 years ago I updated to XP and everything was fine. Recently I had have the disk reformatted and reloaded. I cannot run this anymore. A prompt says cannot find "CTL3D.DLL cannot run 16 bit program". Do I have any options to run the forms I have used? I cannot find any updates to this software. Thanks in advance for any info.
    Dick: I too have Easy Forms Maker. The DLL files you are missing is a Dynamic Link Library file and you can go to Google and very easily download it and add it to your windows systems file folder and it should work. I love this program, but am now running Windows 7 and it will NOT work with 7 ! darn it. Have emailed the company, but without any response so far. Stay with XP if you want to continue to use the Easy Forms. Good luck there.