Thread: Horse Chestnut?

Horse Chestnut?

Anyone know how Horse Chestnut is for turning? I just found where I can get a bunch freshly cut and was wondering if it was worth messing with.
    Thanks
    Have a Happy and Safe New Year
    Dave

David - I have not had the chance to turn any horse chestnut - but if you can get a bunch of it for free - do it! Once you start turning it you'll know if you like it or not. Most of the wood I have turned - even Jack Pine - has something to offer once it is turned. Give it a try and let us know what you think of it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

David, Ive turned one piece a while back but it had been cut a long time, I dont know if there will be a huge difference but mine turned really good

Dave

horse chestnut is in the buckeye family, buckeye is suppose to turn well if you can get it, do not eat the nuts of horse chestnut, slightly poisonous

one day i may get the opportunity to turn it, but not yet

This is horse chestnut bowl I made from a piece right out of my buddies wood pile. I turned really nice and was not to bad to sand. It is about 5 1/2" in dia. and about 4" tall. It only has 2 light coats of tung oil and could use probably 2 more. My biggest problem with it is I don't like the shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Duff

Rember: Experience is what you get just after needed it.

This should be some of they easiest wood you've ever worked. Turns like butter and sands real nice and easy.

David, here's another example of horse chestnut. The lighter browns and greys are from a horse chestnut tree that was actually planted by George Washington. I did an article for American Woodturner last summer about this project which used numerous woods, all with a George Washington connectiion.

Quote Originally Posted by Duff Bement View Post
    This is horse chestnut bowl I made from a piece right out of my buddies wood pile. I turned really nice and was not to bad to sand. It is about 5 1/2" in dia. and about 4" tall. It only has 2 light coats of tung oil and could use probably 2 more. My biggest problem with it is I don't like the shape.
    That has some beautiful grain in it, looks nice Duff!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Free wood?

Is always good to turn. I gave a much appreciated pen to my daughter for Christams that was turned from a virgina creeper blowdown in her yard. It was soft, not to colorful, But a bush she planted. I suspect you are already obtaining the H chesnut as wI post this. Good luck.
    Bob

How much is a bunch? Eau Claire is not that far from Milwaukee.....4-5 hours!!

Dave, good luck and have fun with the horse chesnut! I need more wood like a hole in the head, but differnent species are always fun!

Happy new Year,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I looked at the wood this morning. About 24" in diameter and cut to lengths of about 16". Way to big and heavy for my car, I'm going to try to find a truck and hope it's still there. It's also a good reason to buy a chain saw.

New wood and tools are almost as much fun as new guns.