Thread: Need puter help BAD

Need puter help BAD

In the process of upgrading my Dimension 8200. Ram, Graphics and hard drive. Well the ram I ordered was non-ECC. The ram I removed from the puter is ECC. Before it even boots I get a message that the ram is not recognized. I was under the impression that I could change from one to the other if I changed all four. I saw on a puter forum that the BIOS needed to be changed. Come on guys I do furniture not puters. Can any one help or steer me in the right direction? Thanks Reed
    Creation is a transfer of ideas to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Wells View Post
    In the process of upgrading my Dimension 8200. Ram, Graphics and hard drive. Well the ram I ordered was non-ECC. The ram I removed from the puter is ECC. Before it even boots I get a message that the ram is not recognized. I was under the impression that I could change from one to the other if I changed all four. I saw on a puter forum that the BIOS needed to be changed. Come on guys I do furniture not puters. Can any one help or steer me in the right direction? Thanks Reed
    To reset your bios follow this link.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

Steve

Can't really help you but, when I wanted to add RAM to my 8250 (uses the same type of RAM as 8200), it was cheaper to buy a new computer!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

A member here recommended using Crucial.com for memory and they have worked well for me. Just let it look at your computer, it tells you what you have and what you are allowed to have and then offers up the right memory in various forms, for a decent price.

I think I paid $38 for (2) 1GB sticks about 2 months ago.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I would reinstall the old ram and update the BIOS if necessary. is there a new BIOS for your computer?

It may help to know the make/model of your PC. If not a major name-brand, the make/model of your motherboard would be helpful.

Also, the original RAM part #'s and the replacement part #'s would help.

It is interesting to note that, when RAM is not compatible with your PC, you typically don't get any messages saying so. You just don't get a POST (Power On Self Test). Some variants of Apple and other machines are the exception, though.

Tell us more.

This page - Dell Dimension 8200 - says you should be using non-ECC PC800 memory.

But the best way to tell is to go here and choose your computer by its service tag - that way you can be sure to get the specifications for your exact machine.