Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this vs. that

this vs. that

Might be in the wrong section, but needs to be said. I have not been a member here long, and so my opinion may not count for much, but when folks have a difference of opinion about anything at all, we need to be carefull not to criticize their opinion or their way of doing things. Most of us are adults, most of us have nice shops and tools, that means we have done pretty well for ourselves, (not to say those with out shops and tools have not) which means we have made some good decisions, and are fairly competent. I have lived and worked all over the country and in central america, one thing I learned is things are done different everywhere you go. So next time you think "hey that guys an idiot" for doing this or that in a way different from yours, try asking how well it works that way. How about "asking" if they ever heard of it being done another way. The purpose of this site was to share and "educate". Not beat our chests, toot our own horns and make others wrong. Sorry for the spelling and grammer errors and Happy Holidays.

2. Very true Rick and well said. When I read a woodworking mag my favorite features are the one'e like "Methods of Work" in FWW or the jigs reader's come up with. I love reading about inventive new ways of doing things.

Most of us have a choice of two or three tools that will preform the same task and often after years of doing something one way you find there's a better way, and you have a "Why didn't I think of that moment".

Happy Holidays to you

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lucrezi View Post
    Might be in the wrong section, but needs to be said. I have not been a member here long, and so my opinion may not count for much, but when folks have a difference of opinion about anything at all, we need to be carefull not to criticize their opinion or their way of doing things. ...
    Rick, it's good to be reminded of that every so often, but actually, the denizens of the creek are usually very civil to one another, and when they do get a little too close to the line, the very fine moderators are quick to step in and spread a little oil on the water (not to mix a metaphor or anything). Now, some of the boards, groups, forums I've visited seem to have developed the ad hominem attack to a fine art. This one, on the other hand, has a very pleasant tone.

Thank you guys, gals, and moderators for keeping it that way.
    Last edited by Tom Veatch; 12-27-2008 at 3:40 PM.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Well said. I know 3 individuals who left this forum in protest after being "flamed."

Gary Curtis

Blog Entries
    Another 'plus one' on this. SMC has gotten so large now I do not envy the moderators their burden. I moderate on other forums and know the drill. With 10k-plus members you get quite the cross-section of folks with all the positives and the negatives that make any diversity-rich environment fun as well as trying.

I just try to remember some folks just hate Chevy's . . . all Chevy's; even though they haven't even sat in one for 3 decades. Repeat after me; "Tastes Great, Less Filling", "Your Mileage May Vary", "Works for me, MIGHT work for you", "Results Not Typical" and so on.

If all else fails and you find certain members posts disturbing on a regular basis, there is a block feature available; you cannot block folks with Manufacturer's Forum admin rights so you just have to listen to them whenever they want to chime in. Another fix is selective searching as mentioned here.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Curtis View Post
    Well said. I know 3 individuals who left this forum in protest after being "flamed."

Gary Curtis
    Gary, I must be out of touch, again, but I have to ask, whats "flamed" mean?

My $.02 on the other subject, sure looks like this forum is far better then the others I've been to. This is on all levels, not just civility. Some people are just different, which works for them, so they just add color here. I really do appreciate the moderators hard work to keep the conversation in bounds. Nearly a million posts, and you know a mod read every one of those.

Happy Holidays to all!

FYI, the term "flame" goes back to the early days of the Internet. It means to attack someone online; especially in a particularly hostile or demeaning manner.

For example, if I posted a comment about how I really like the new Unisaw and another person replied saying I'm an idiot to even consider buying anything from Delta and went on to insult my entire being, that would be a classic "flame". Typically, a violation of an "attack the post and not the poster" policy would also be flaming.

"Flame wars" came about before the Internet. Privately run BBS's were the original flame war bases. I ran a 24/7 BBS (Hartland Pride BBS) for 17 years until I shut it down in 2003. Had to keep a handle on some of the people.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Rick, I'm curious if there was something that made you want to say what you are saying. I do agree with you, but being one to call a spade a spade, I have already just turned and walked away from some of the posters here. Instead of pursuing to tell them they were all wet, or flat out wrong.
    Even the ones who have kicked dirt on my shoes a few times.
    It's there loss, because I tend to put them on "Ignore". It's a Free Country, and I can go pick up dog doo as well as post. (Don't take that wrong, because my dogs are the very best Friends I have ever had the pleasure to love. Better than some of my wives were. )
    My reason for being on the Internet is and was to share my experiences with others. In my line of work, I have helped many apprentices grow and become journeymen, for example. And at times that takes a cuff upside the head to save them from dieing.
    But some don't take well to me. That's OK with me. I figure they will show their ignorance in time. I can pick them out and just let them waller.
    I just try and share what I know for a fact, and have done as an example. How else will they learn?
    But so far, this has been a nice place to be and share with. Even with a few cow pies here and there to step around.
    And this should probably be in the Off Topic area. But what the hey?

Sonny, I guess I was reacting to a post where the question about which tool is better and it degraded to flaming about the use of certain tools doing certain types of jobs.
    I too was a member of another forum, there was alot of flaming over ideas and techniques. I had enough when I made a post that some how was interpreted wrong by one person, than it became a feeding frenzy like blood in the water with sharks, I tried to explain in more detail as I did see how the guy made the leap but it never made a difference. It was so mind bogling that with out any real knowledge of a sitiuation, people just get into a pack mentality. I would hate to have that happen here. It has caused me to be more careful in the words I choose to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    "Flame wars" came about before the Internet. Privately run BBS's were the original flame war bases. I ran a 24/7 BBS (Hartland Pride BBS) for 17 years until I shut it down in 2003. Had to keep a handle on some of the people.
    Yes you are correct but as Pat said... "the early days of the internet" were the bulletin boards.

That was before Al Gore invented it
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Sonny, I guess I was reacting to a post where the question about which tool is better and it degraded to flaming about the use of certain tools doing certain types of jobs.
    I too was a member of another forum, there was alot of flaming over ideas and techniques. I had enough when I made a post that some how was interpreted wrong by one person, than it became a feeding frenzy like blood in the water with sharks, I tried to explain in more detail as I did see how the guy made the leap but it never made a difference. It was so mind bogling that with out any real knowledge of a sitiuation, people just get into a pack mentality. I would hate to have that happen here. It has caused me to be more careful in the words I choose to use.
    Rick,
    You haven't been here long enough to see what the MODS here do (heck, I just joined in Feb of last year) but they are very keen and don't miss much. Just look at the Shhh don't say Merry Christmas thread for a good example.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100016
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Grow some thicker skin. When you start losing sleep over what some moron says on an internet board you've got a serious lack of priorities.
    This place is like a group hug compared to Politcal Anarchy, on Sailing Anarchy, where the only rule is don't contact the moderators.

Well, that stuff will happen.
    Ca-Ca occur es.
    Sometimes people get head up and think one way, and one way only. You and I both know there are many ways.
    I will look at machinery and ask myself, what else can I make this do? Where can I make this dual purpose?
    If I can answer yes to that question, then it moves up the list and/or into the shop. But it has been a long time since I've shopped for anything beyond materials. I am very happy and comfortable with my shop.
    Some fool without any imagination once told me I couldn't mount a feeder on a jointer.
    So I did it and showed him he was full of... well you get the idea.
    Basically, there will be some areas where boogers will stick to the walls, and idiots will have to run their course until folks figure out for themselves that the advice is half cocked BS that won't fly. I've been watching some of that already elsewhere around here.
    But just as we can choose to engage an idiot, we can also choose NOT to engage that same idiot.
    And that, my Friend, is a huge difference.
    Great thread, by the way.

Now then... I've already done the poop patrol... and it's too dark and cold to go play toy soldiers outside... I think I'll fill up the water dishes and watch some TV and cuddle the dogs maybe...

Sonny, I guess I was reacting to a post where the question about which tool is better and it degraded to flaming about the use of certain tools doing certain types of jobs. . . . I would hate to have that happen here. It has caused me to be more careful in the words I choose to use.
    Rick -

Reading your original post and I think I know the thread you are referring to. Those things happen occasionally, even here. The moderators do a fantastic job of keeping an eye on things and jumping in when required.

When reading that post, the following came to mind. There are at least three ways to do every task in woodworking. I will choose one way, you will choose another. Is one better? No. It depends on the tools one has, the skills one has and heavily on personal preference. One may be faster than the other, but the task still gets finished.

A similar thought process can be applied to tool selection. Cost, features, portability, mobility, available shop room, prior prejudices based on brand, etc. I generally gather the info offered and fair through the data presented to develop an opinion. When I give an opinion it is just that, my opinion based on MY experience, not something somebody else said or "I heard somewhere. . ." Other people may have different opinions. There really aren't very many cases where there is an absolute right or wrong - except in the case of safety.

The discussions remain basically friendly and that is why this is the best forum on the net.

Regards,
    Ted
    Last edited by Ted Shrader; 12-27-2008 at 10:38 PM.