View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

  1. Brianna's bed Pt.6

    With the help of these three bits, I cut a dado in the back, rounded the two top edges and cut a nice profile into the bottom face of the arc and it was ready to mount to the headboard.





    By now, I had had my carpal tunnel surgery on my left wrist, so I was a bit hampered ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Brianna's bed Pt.5

    Can you even see the applied veneer piece on the edge here?



    Just below the bottom shelve in the headboard, I needed to add this structural element. It would serve to raise the shelf to a height that would keep my nieces head and her pillows below the shelf level so that she wouldn’t disturb anything on them while she slept. I added some more of those corner brackets under/inside ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Brianna's bed Pt.4

    We move to the router table. I have mounted a flush cutting bit and the bearing will ride up against the template/pattern, making a nice smooth profile on the top of each side. I have found that I much prefer to cut things such as this with this method than cutting out with a band saw or jigsaw and then sanding down to where I need to get it. It’s quicker and usually results in a much nicer finish that needs little sanding.

    ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Brianna's bed Pt.3

    With the base glued and screwed up, I moved on to fabricating the support frames for the drawers. I again turned to my pocket screw jig for quick assembly and you can easily see the pocket holes in these frame members. The screws go down in these holes and screw into the adjoining frame member, creating an “internal clamping situation”. The clamps shown act as a tool to keep the faces of the adjoining members perfectly aligned while the screws are drawn up tight.

    ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Brianna's bed Pt.2

    The picture of the bed that they presented to me had two drawers on each side of the bed. They were going to be positioning the bed into a corner situation which would negate the use of two. So, they wanted all four on one side. That was fine with me, but it did serve to eliminate the room for two of the drawers that would be in the footboard area.

    I used a “drop down” method cutting the holes for the drawer openings in the side piece. I suppose that I could have also raised ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized