PDA

View Full Version : Recommended carving tools/sweeps: Mack Headley DVD

Howie French
12-26-2008, 8:15 PM
does anyone know what sweeps Mack Headley uses/recommends for the shell that appears on the cover of Taunton's Carving Techniques and Projects video ??

Howie

Robert Rozaieski
12-27-2008, 2:21 PM
I have the DVD and there is a PDF with it that lists the tools. There is also an article on the same shell that he wrote for FWW several years ago that details the gouges used as well. I have a PDF copy of the article I could email you if you'd like. Just shoot me an email and I'll send it to you.

Bob

John Timberlake
12-28-2008, 4:05 PM
See this thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95974

Vic Castello
12-30-2008, 11:42 PM
I have one of his old VHS tapes that he made in 1986! Haven't watched it in some time, but I was surprised to find out that he now works in Williamsburg, Virginia. He dresses up in colonial garb and hairstyle, and builds traditional early American furniture there as tourists watch him. Sounds like a great job!

Mike Henderson
12-30-2008, 11:57 PM
When asking about sweeps, remember that there's two systems for carving gouges - the Sheffield system and the Swiss system. So when someone tells you a sweep, you need to know what system is being used.

Mike

David Keller NC
12-31-2008, 12:24 PM
"Sounds like a great job! "

Absolutely, as long as you're financially secure. Williamsburg perhaps pays better than Old Salem, but the joiners there make very little - just enough to scrape buy. It's also brutally hard work if done 8 hours a day. Probably a great reason why an 18th cnetury shop had one middle-aged master, 3-4 journeymen, and 7-8 apprentices!

Howie French
12-31-2008, 5:40 PM
thanks everyone for your replies... and yes Mike, I should have specified the swiss system.

Howie

Vic Castello
12-31-2008, 9:14 PM
One would think that Mack can afford to do whatever he pleases. He is probably in his upper 60ies by now.

I have many books on how carving tools are classified, the best being by Chris Pye because he explains both of the systems in detail that Mike Henderson mentions . I ought to pay more attention to these systems because it would help me when purchasing tools, but to be honest.....I haven't paid much attention to it. That's why when I need a new chisel...I just can't order it sight unseen. I have to actually see it.

When carving, I never pay attention how a tool is classified. I just look at what needs to be carved, and I just visually choose the best tool for the job out of my collection. If any of you here put a tool in my hand...I couldn't tell you how it's classified!

:eek:

george wilson
02-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Master craftsmen have a higher pay scale in Williamsburg. They are also the supervisors. If you stayed there long enough,you'd earn decent money. The journeymen do o.k.. To be a journeyman,you have to apprentice 7 years. That gets your pay higher to begin with,and moves you into the journeyman scale. Apprentice beginning pay is rough. New people stay there because they want to learn,not because of the money. Before Mack,for a few years, I supervised both the cabinet and instrument shops. Took them a long time to find a suitable master after Jan Heuvel left.